LZ 22 ( Stock bottom end and / U67 Head)

Doctoraudio

Was I collecting my pictures and thoughts!

I am interested in what you think

Do you awesome I can get a real nice daily driver out of this setup?

Will I be torn to looking for something bigger?

That L18 runs great and is very powerful, but I barely get to 40 mph most of the time.

I am using the Z22 (stock) with a U67 (complete rebuild w/ NO porting) head as a DD right now.  Has a TON of bottom end.  Also running dual SU carbs.  I can be in 5th gear at 2K, be on a hill, and accelerate with ease.  Now I have a 280zx as my transmission too with the stock '73 rear end (can't think of the gearing right now).

It does lose breath at the top end but I am sure porting it will help that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A stock L20B chain should fit without 2 extra links.

Another vote down for a stock chain.

more  :wub:  when its a green motor :fu:

you should look into using ARP studs

I ended up buying Nissan OEM studs. Cost a shit load of money  :sick:

I am using the Z22 (stock) with a U67 (complete rebuild w/ NO porting) head as a DD right now.  Has a TON of bottom end.  Also running dual SU carbs.  I can be in 5th gear at 2K, be on a hill, and accelerate with ease.  Now I have a 280zx as my transmission too with the stock '73 rear end (can't think of the gearing right now).

It does lose breath at the top end but I am sure porting it will help that.

How is you fuel eco?

Yes, I was told to get it ported and matched with the intake.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought it from Dave so, I maybe wrong on the size.

But I know Dave knows the right size to give me.

A stock L20B chain should fit without 2 extra links.

more  :wub:  when its a green motor :fu:

you should look into using ARP studs

correct

Another vote down for a stock chain.

I ended up buying Nissan OEM studs. Cost a shit load of money  :sick:

How is you fuel eco?

Yes, I was told to get it ported and matched with the intake.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought it from Dave so, I maybe wrong on the size.

But I know Dave knows the right size to give me.

I get in the low 20s on the freeway.  Around town its not as good.  I do have to use 91 though because of compression.  I tried running lower grade but pinging occurs.  I know I can get better gas mileage.  I just need to get my wideband sensor to measure my fuel to air ratio so I can really dial in the carbs.

What intake are you using?

What are you running +?

I get in the low 20s on the freeway.  Around town its not as good.  I do have to use 91 though because of compression.  I tried running lower grade but pinging occurs.  I know I can get better gas mileage.  I just need to get my wideband sensor to measure my fuel to air ratio so I can really dial in the carbs.

What intake are you using?

So , I see you started out with different plans.
You ended up running what I am going to be doing!
so maybe thing s will be close to the same responses.
But still not the same.

Are you running some different ignition system?

May  porting will give me a little smoother bottom end performance.
We will see later.

going to bring my car home tonight. Lights not back end.

So , I see you started out with different plans.

You ended up running what I am going to be doing!

so maybe thing s will be close to the same responses.

But still not the same.

Are you running some different ignition system?

May  porting will give me a little smoother bottom end performance.

We will see later.

going to bring my car home tonight. Lights not back end.

Yeah the one thing that keeps us from doing a lot of things.. $$$$$ ..  I couldn't justify poring that much money into the motor.  Plus I was killing the block in one pass boring it out that much.  I am still happy with the finished product.  

Nope.  I a running an electronic dizzy from a '79 620.

I think porting will give you a rougher bottom end and a better top end.. I know someone will chime in.  

Small ports favor increased air speed and this gives good cylinder filling and throttle response at low speeds. As the revs go up at some point this starts to restrict breathing and power is not as high as it could be. Opening up the ports just enough will will allow more flow at the same high speeds but you have now lost this at low or mid range.

I think Z train has an LZ with some what small intake runners or small port head and it makes phenomenal torque at mid range.

I was talking about my L18.
Just to be clear!
I open the por maybe 1.38" 
And it sound different.
The engine responds different to.
I am going to go thru the timing again!

_ - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - --- - - - - - - -

So I should port to 1.5  or should I try for more.
I don't know if I want to try going wider.
I think it may be best not to try. Less rework!

So I should port to 1.5  or should I try for more.

I don't know if I want to try going wider.

I think it may be best not to try. Less rework!

I wouldn't port them too much.  You will be at risk for cutting into a water passages.

You said you wanted more bottom end torque so I would just port to match the intake you are using, by the way what are the carbs you plan to go with this motor?

Get a new gasket and mount on the studs. Spray paint it orange or yellow, something bright. Remove the gasket. Any yellow paint showing around the intake or exhaust ports, grind away. Smooth and match it in a couple of inches. Finish is not important. Leave rough. Now put the gasket on the intake and the exhaust manifolds and do the same. You will need a proper carbide burr for the harder cast iron exhaust. An air tool works best but even a good electric drill will do the job if patient.

Stock heads flow really well as is, they are well made.

So, 1.5 is enough.

Buddy says he will let me use his SU's!
But really want all my own stuff!

I wouldn't port them too much.  You will be at risk for cutting into a water passages.

You said you wanted more bottom end torque so I would just port to match the intake you are using, by the way what are the carbs you plan to go with this motor?

I know someone with a different exhaust manifold.
So I am going to get it.
I will be sure to use the carbide bits I have sitting on my bench.

Get a new gasket and mount on the studs. Spray paint it orange or yellow, something bright. Remove the gasket. Any yellow paint showing around the intake or exhaust ports, grind away. Smooth and match it in a couple of inches. Finish is not important. Leave rough. Now put the gasket on the intake and the exhaust manifolds and do the same. You will need a proper carbide burr for the harder cast iron exhaust. An air tool works best but even a good electric drill will do the job if patient.

Stock heads flow really well as is, they are well made.

Are you using the Hitachi SUs off a Z?

I am running the Hitachi SUs off a SSS motor which was imported from Japan.  They are only 38mm, not like the Zs which are 46mm.  If you can find a pair of SSS SUs you will be quiet happy with them or if you really want to spend some money you can get a pair of weber dcoe's

Small ports favor increased air speed and this gives good cylinder filling and throttle response at low speeds. As the revs go up at some point this starts to restrict breathing and power is not as high as it could be. Opening up the ports just enough will will allow more flow at the same high speeds but you have now lost this at low or mid range.

I think Z train has an LZ with some what small intake runners or small port head and it makes phenomenal torque at mid range.

As Mike mentioned earlier.  

Reverse for larger ports and carbs.  You will 'bog' out in the lower RPMs but get you power up high.

That is why all the race guys have larger ports and carbs, they are mostly staying in the higher RPM range, not so fun for a daily

I am not as lucky as most.  In the california valley I get a lot of stop and go traffic...  never a way around.

Hahahahaha!

I do, to a point!

The 9th grader doesn't like when I rev the car in the parking lot!

I pull up to the other parents and signal them to race.
It is funny to me!

Have you gotten any takers?  I like it when someone thinks they will leave you in the dust.. then they are the ones in shock.