Slider's Double D 521

whats up everyone. For those who haven't seen pics, This is how she started.

20121103_145336.jpg

as of now this is how she sits.

998498_547050272016980_1324076836_n_zps9

945824_579518085436865_1704382072_n_zps4

I have recovered the dash, and made door panels. Cost me about $20, and its done in the same material as the dash. I'm going to make some side panel cards, and make housings on them for my speakers. 

1796515_618479854874021_1682501316_n_zps

I am in the process of doing the r1 carb setup. Just got a set in (complete with boots and airbox stacks!) When i got them in they were completely siezed up. After total tear down and soaking in berryman's they are nice n' loose. On a side note, I now know someone that works for a local fabrication company who is able to make R1 manifolds for the l series for $100. I will post pictures of mine after he welds it up. 

1656353_618479884874018_1114361797_n_zps

I am also wondering if anyone knows what stock pistons would be swap-able for the l16 that would take boost pressure. I am building a spare block for boost, and will be getting this guy to weld up a turbo manifold with a flange to accept a mitsubishi 16g turbo. Should be sufficient for the l16. 

My future plans are: turbocharged l16, Water to air intercooler, nismo or comp camshafts cam, longer geared rear end, 720 (or is it 620?) 4x4 rear leaf springs, ported cylinder head, and i will be relocating the battery under the bed. 

I'm also wondering on another side note does anybody have a measurement on the distance from the original clip position on the R1 needles to the correct clip positions for the l16? i cant see spending 100+ for an aftermarket needle kit when i can shim the needles to the appropriate height. 

I will be posting changes/updates as they happen.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So over the last few days I did some extra work for a friend of the family (I was a carney for a weekend, don't tell anyone) to get the extra money to get the R1 Mani fabbed up. The work was over an hour from the house and I worked 14 hours so I got a hotel. Woke up to leave for the next days work to find this.

IMG_20140308_094659_zpsf6bdc66a.jpg

Let's take a vote. I think it looks like someone took a crow bar to the hood to try to steal it. Cops think someone with a hitch backed into it. What do y'all think?

Either way, the hood, upper chrome, grill, and lower chrome are fucked. And the kicker is I parked where a security camera was pointing, only to find out the owner, whom I will call habeeb, doesn't fucking record anything. FML. so the r1 setup is temporarily postponed. And that damn grill was mint. Once again FML.

• 1 month later...

Sooo... small update. the rear end of the truck is lifted up so i have suspension travel again.  :mellow:

I love the slammed look and the fact that it would tear around corners, but got tired of the lack of clearance.

R1 carbs and supplies are at the fabricator. The manifold should be ready in the next few days. I'm thinking of having him fab up an exhaust mani to fit a mitsubishi series turbo on the l16.. 14b, small 16g, etc. I have also thought about a bb t28. I'm trying for the life of me to learn how to read compressor maps, but evidently it ain't for me. I want something that will spool fast as hell, but make power.

I'm trying to figure out my distributor issue tonight. Timing keeps moving. 750 rpm last night= 13ish* advance. 750rpm this morning= 17ish* timing. 

I did notice something today driving to work. it was running awesome, then it backfired on decel, and it didn't quite run the same after that.  :confused:

So here's another question: how much can i safely port the runners on a 210 head? im planning on doing some valve/chamber work, but I need to know what is the safe limit for runner porting. I know, i know, just buy a better head. I'm stubborn. 

Thoughts on anything?