Help cooosing Alternator

kgrantkey

I have two that will bolt right up and prefer to use one of those due to less work,  Down the road I'll go back thru the thread and choose a quality upgrade. But for now I want to get my truck running around the block enough to break it in and see how it does,  Got the engine and tranny installed last night. I started raining so I hurriedly hooked the battery to the starter and used 1st gear to pull it a few feet into the basement,

Now that I'm inside I'm not in a big hurry but I]m gonna show you the two Nissan Alternators I have and ask If either has a built in Regulator. If so That's the one I'd like to use because I;m really unsure of my external regulator.  I will also show it.

By the way this is a 76 ( mostly) 620 pickup. Many will recognize me by the number of threads I've started recently,

I also know their are a couple of wiring changes to the external regulator hook-up. Maybe a link to that part of the job too?  Or if it's simple enough a brief description.

The larger of the two may have come off a different Nissan, like a 280 or 240....maybe a 200sx.  I think I purchased this when I realized I was having trouble with the voltage reg. 

At the same time, I can't remember my battery running down with the smaller of the two alternators when it was hooked up, but that's been a few years ago and the trips were very short.

1st my voltage reg........

P82A0350.jpg

Now my smallest alternator .....

P82A0340.jpg

And the one that may be off of a later model than 76......the center one...

P82A0339.jpg

Now it by itself....

P82A0341.jpg

So that's all three of them.  I'd have to change pulleys on the last one, I believe it;s a GM and has a serpentine belt.

Any advice.   I know I can always go with the smaller Hitachi although both bolt on and I have belts for both.  If I go with the smaller one I could probably tall if it's charging in less rim than it took to write all this shit up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The small one is stock 620. Plug & play. Get that truck up and running!

I wouldn't even ask the question if I were sure my voltage regulator were working.  That is the voltage regulator in the 1st picture I'm holding isn't it?

Well there is one sure fire easy way to tell.