TBI turbo?

datsunfish

I have a naps 2.4 tbi and have been considering throwing it in my 620. I mainly use my 620 to haul my boat around and it could use some more torque and I dont really care what goes in there.

I have been spinning on the idea of a turbo someday and thought that maybe it could be possible to mount a turbo through the tbi. Not necessarily on the naps 2.4. Basically a draw through carbed turbo setup is not known to build great power. Does anyone know if it would work to mount the turbo output directly across the tbi?

I figure mounting a naps head on a L16 or L18 block would bring the compression down a lot. Mount up the tbi and a custom exhaust mani into a 9 lb. turbo directly routed atop the throttle body. I could also modify the throttle body intake to the L series intake and run a u67 into a L18 with L20b pistons.

Tons of maybes here but if it would work to push boost through a tbi I will do it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of room on the driver's side of the NAPS for a turbo and manifold. Make your own manifold as there's no intake in the way so you're free to be creative. Because the turbo is on one side and the intake on the other, makes sense to run an inter cooler across the front to connect them. The added benefit is a cooler intake charge and less chance of detonation.

Seriously, I don't know if the Z24i TBI will accept air under pressure and meter the fuel properly, maybe, who knows eh? Should go alright at 9lbs.

Couple of chaps put the NAPS exhaust manifold on upside down (with the hood off) kind of pointing forward and up. Put an SU or something on the turbo and bolted to the manifold and cobbled up a pipe over to the intake. Real jury rig set up without BOV or waste gate. Lasted for half an evening of 'fun'. Would go 'up in smoke' in second.