Dartmouth Formula Racing

edin

Hey folks,

I want to get some more eyes on the EV racing program that I head up at school. We're a small operation of about ten students that has been working for the past fifteen months to build a single-seat, open-wheel electric race car from scratch. Our main competition is the Formula Hybrid Competition beginning April 28, 2014 at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway. The past few years of Formula Hybrid have been somewhat lacking, but we hope that there is good competition this year and that more teams show up.

I'm not yet convinced that EVs have a role in the mainstream vehicle market, but there is certainly something to be said about EVs in terms of racing. Here are some preliminary specs for this year's car:

• Fully custom space-frame 4130 chassis
  • Weight (w/o driver): 700 lbs (est.)
  • Power: 60kW peak
  • Torque: 800 Nm at wheels (est.)
  • Voltage: 300V max, 263V nominal
  • Max Current: 200A

Please ask questions, I'm happy to share details. This is our website, and like our Facebook page!

Cheers,

Eric

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dfr/

http://www.facebook.com/Dartmouthformularacing

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll be at the NH Motor Speedway on April 28-May 1 (28/29 are inspection days, 30/1 are race days). We're also planning on doing the Ascutney hill climb and some other local SCCNH events. I just visited Dave a couple weekends ago to pick up a dogleg for my wagon. Haven't had time to put it in yet... this project takes up all waking hours and it's so wet outside.

Great job for taking on the challenge.

I was part of the UW Formula SAE team in 94/95.  It was definately the highlight of my college career.  I have little doubt you will say the same thing about your Fourmula Hybrid experience.  Good luck in your competition(s)!

What drove you to mount your shocks so high?  You usually want the weight as low as possible, both in location and quantity.  Just curious what went into that decision.

Great job for taking on the challenge.

I was part of the UW Formula SAE team in 94/95.  It was definately the highlight of my college career.  I have little doubt you will say the same thing about your Fourmula Hybrid experience.  Good luck in your competition(s)!

What drove you to mount your shocks so high?  You usually want the weight as low as possible, both in location and quantity.  Just curious what went into that decision.

Yep good question. It's not something I necessarily agree with but I've spent the majority of my time on the electrical system and wasn't a big voice in the suspension/chassis design reviews. They require the pushrods to be rather long which increases the chances of buckling. From what I understand, though, I think there was some binding/interference issues that were unforseen in chassis design that came up later in suspension design and this is where they ended up. I know that justifying suspension decisions from chassis decisions is a bit backwards, but limited time, knowledge, skills at the beginning of the project had a huge impact here. We've learned a lot.