about 300K miles

Messi720D

so my 81  720 king cab is about to hit 300k I just want a little info sum stuff I plan to do a tune ups on and see if I can get any input on sum stuff thanks

1. oil for engine last time I used 10-40 but I was doing a little reading and people seem to use rotella 15 40 and I was thinking it would be better since I live in phx AZ in the city and summer is coming.

2. spark plugs? and wire set? last tune up I went with autolite and what ever the vatozone guy said gap I think not sure tho (.032) oh also on one of my ignition coils seen to get to hot could it be goin bad or is it bad truck seems to run good tho??

3. oil filter and air filter? any better than other??

4. planning to top off or  replace tranny gear oil

5. also plan on fixing leak that axle is having and do new fluid and gasket or what ever requires?? what is the difficulty on this??

idk what else I could do nothing has really  failed I just tend to get by cars ready for the summer and have no trouble with them:thumbup:
any other suggestions ??

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so my 81  720 king cab is about to hit 300k I just want a little info sum stuff I plan to do a tune ups on and see if I can get any input on sum stuff thanks

1. oil for engine last time I used 10-40 but I was doing a little reading and people seem to use rotella 15 40 and I was thinking it would be better since I live in phx AZ in the city and summer is coming.

Summer has little to do with it. The Rotella T has higher levels of ZDDP a zinc anti scuff additive that is slowly being reduced and phased out. It's needed on 'flat tappet' cams like we have.

2. spark plugs? and wire set? last tune up I went with autolite and what ever the vatozone guy said gap I think not sure tho (.032) oh also on one of my ignition coils seen to get to hot could it be goin bad or is it bad truck seems to run good tho??

Run NGK plugs for your Z22 motor. The intake side are one range warmer than the exhaust.

3. oil filter and air filter? any better than other??

NO FRAM!!!! NAPA gold or Wix brand are fine. Always change the filter with the oil.

4. planning to top off or  replace tranny gear oil

Supposed to be done every 30K so probably only done by original owner. GL-4 80w90 NOT GL-5 ever!!! Has to be GL-4 or say 'yellow metal compatible' to protect your copper alloy synchro rings.

5. also plan on fixing leak that axle is having and do new fluid and gasket or what ever requires?? what is the difficulty on this??

Probably the pinion seal if leaking at the front. Check level and keep topped up if not fixing for a while. GL-5 80w90 oil for the diff.

• Like 1