notching valve reliefs

PinoyDat210

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I'm definitely not an expert, but Honsowetz' book describes how to use a cutter chucked into a drill, through the valve guides, to cut valve reliefs into piston tops. Maybe one could grind a groove into an old valve and use it as the cutter? He warns about making certain the pistons are properly oriented in the block, and not cutting too deep - a stock piston crown is only about 5/16" thick at the centre. Also, don't leave sharp edges to act as stress risers. Use a micrometer and mark on the valve stem to gauge how deep you cut. Must also check valve to piston clearance carefully after the job is done... 

well, I'm definitely not an expert, but Honsowetz' book describes how to use a cutter chucked into a drill, through the valve guides, to cut valve reliefs into piston tops. Maybe one could grind a groove into an old valve and use it as the cutter? He warns about making certain the pistons are properly oriented in the block, and not cutting too deep - a stock piston crown is only about 5/16" thick at the centre. Also, don't leave sharp edges to act as stress risers. Use a micrometer and mark on the valve stem to gauge how deep you cut. Must also check valve to piston clearance carefully after the job is done..

As with many procedures, proper depth control is very important !!

Whadduz that bring to mind ??

Seriously a collar with a setscrew on the valve stem on the top side of the valve guide would insure uniform depth on all the eyebrows. A little trial & error needed to get to proper depth.

Steve

i figure it cant be too hard if it becomes neccesary. i mean without a flow chart we'll never really know the gains but if it become necessary to notch the piston using a reground cam and stock internals you probably wouldn't be removing much anyways just a little trim. ya i was thinking of using a drill and cutter. or maybe even a small grinding wheel on a dremel. I heard something about checking the clearance with clay on the valve? not sure about that process. also will reliefs change compression? or affect combustion efficiency?

Put some clay on top of the pistons. Do a mock assembly without the head gasket, and slowly, gently rotate the motor. if there is no contact, you know you have at least the gasket thickness of clearance. Then pull the head off and measure how thick the clay still is.

As with many procedures, proper depth control is very important !!

Whadduz that bring to mind ??

Seriously a collar with a setscrew on the valve stem on the top side of the valve guide would insure uniform depth on all the eyebrows. A little trial & error needed to get to proper depth.

Steve

I went back and read my post and it then sounded misleading. Maybe this makes more sense.

Seriously a collar with a setscrew as a sloid stop on the valve stem shank of the eyebrow cutter on the top side of the valve guide would insure uniform depth on all the eyebrows. A little trial & error needed to get to proper depth.

Steve