The Ratsun F1 Thread

RTB

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think ERS is the electric system, and KERS is the mechanical one.

KERS stands for Kinetic Energy Recovery System. This got energy from the heat in the brakes which it stored in a battery and gave a 70p boost for several seconds during a lap. ERS is just Energy Recovery System. As well as getting heat from the brakes they also get heat from the turbocharger. The car gets about a 150hp boost and for a much longer amount of time. However, before the driver could control when that boost happened because it was a sort of button that activated it. Now the button is not allowed so the teams must program the car to use ERS in usual race senarios. So they could have it activate for a certain RPM range for specific gears. They also could have several programs for the ERS. One for maximizing performance. Another for fuel conservation, etc. Reason this is important is that teams are limited to 100kg of fuel and fuel flow is restricted as well. Last year it was 150kg and flow was unrestricted. So it will be interesting to see how may people have fuel issues this year.

I hope this will mean more pit stops.

Less. Since there are no refueling stops and Pirelli should be making better tires this year. I expect there to be some people that try to do 1 stop strategies.

After much reading today and familiarizing myself with the season changes and the powerplants I think I understand it now.

Holy shit this is the most insane shit ever to take place in F1, this year will be EPIC!!.

Indeed it will. Hopefully redbull will fall.

So this double points for the last 3 races idea is bullshit. And of course Red Bull are the ones that want it most because they sucked really bad at Jerez.

That is bullshit, leave it to Redbull. Assholes.

I respect the man, and admit he may be the fastest driver ever, but I am also not a Vettel fan.

That is bullshit, leave it to Redbull. Assholes.

I respect the man, and admit he may be the fastest driver ever, but I am also not a Vettel fan.

Vettel is just Damon Hill 2.0. It's all the car. Put any decent F1 driver in that situation and they will do just as well. I bet this season he gets exposed if the car does not have a distinct advantage over everyone else. I would say the best 3 drivers on the grid are Alonso, Hamilton, and Kimi. They can drive a horrible car and still manage great results.

Vettel is just Damon Hill 2.0. It's all the car. Put any decent F1 driver in that situation and they will do just as well. I bet this season he gets exposed if the car does not have a distinct advantage over everyone else. I would say the best 3 drivers on the grid are Alonso, Hamilton, and Kimi. They can drive a horrible car and still manage great results.

I entirely disagree,

Hill has one championship, total.

Vettel has 4 championships already and hes only 26!.

Podiums

Hill, 42 total in career,

Vettel 62 already,

I dont understand the comparison honestly?

How much time world champions have spent in a Newey car.

O4XsBND.jpg

Damon Hill didn't start for Williams until he was 33 and yet he was 1 point away from being a 2 time world champion during the Schumacher era. Vettel has better stats because he has spent more time in a Newey car. He has never had a single season where he had a slower car and had incredible results. So my argument is that any decent driver in that situation would win just as much if not more. I went back and looked at the last 3 seasons and Vettel will on average wins only 1 race a year where he does not start on pole position. That's a very telling statistic.

You are talking about the person with the second most world championships in history, I am sorry but I dont agree that it is all the car.

at least one or two of Senna's championships were arguably decided in favor of the car as well.

Other fact is that Vettel holds more records than any other driver currently, and not just in F1.

You are talking about the person with the second most world championships in history, I am sorry but I dont agree that it is all the car.

at least one or two of Senna's championships were arguably decided in favor of the car as well.

Other fact is that Vettel holds more records than any other driver currently, and not just in F1.

Vettel has yet to prove he can win without a dominant car. His 4 WDCs are from a time where Red Bull had seconds on every other car on the grid. I can easily attribute his wins to the car because when it comes to wheel to wheel racing he has proven to be subpar.

What about his successful years in cart racing, I guess he had the faster car then too...

Your downplaying his talent.

He didn't win a single title in any major junior formula series. Everyone has talent. You cannot drive a formula 1 car without having talent. But Hamilton, Alonso, and Kimi are far more talented. They have done incredible things with horrible cars.