Power and Torque Figures

RTB

So, since I am getting into the final stages of my engine prep and planning I was hoping to get some power estimates for my planned build since I won't be the first one ever building it. It is a standard l20 block bored out to 87mm. Standard crank. 6 inch rods. Z22E pistons. Ported 219 head. Racing cam with .535 lift. Dual 44mm Mikunis. Stahl header. Obviously no 2 engines are alike but a rough estimate would be greatly appreciated. CR should be right around 10:1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Rebello claim 180 for their similar car? They use a the same block, crank, rod set up but use ka24 pistons that have been cut and a U67 head. Not sure what cars they are using. I was hoping to get close to that.

He can claim anything he wants. People say they like his dyno because it gives their car an instant 15 extra hp :lol: It will depend on you cam and how high you can rev it. 120 RWHP? that's 30 hp above stock... a whopping 30% increase. That monster..

260 duration @.050, would be pretty close to 300 advertised duration, give or take. I think my 264 @ .050 is 306 advertised.

Having a dyno, and finding THE combo, makes it easy to just build the same motor over and over, and just Xerox copies of the dyno sheet. Those guys have been building the same 4 engines for 20 years. Of course they make more power than any of us. And it's always a big secret.

It is what it is. Just run it.

Post a pic of the header.

Wow, Stahl headers are pretty:  :thumbup:

http://www.stahlheaders.com/Frame%20New%20RR.htm

Not sure if it's what your looking for, but I've got a late model Subaru R160 4.44 VLSD diff. Back in Kansas (10 min. south of Lawrence).  I was going to do the swap and drop the ring and pinion in my 510 R160, but I'm happy with the 3.90 right now.  P.M. me if your interested.

260 duration @.050, would be pretty close to 300 advertised duration, give or take. I think my 262 @ .050 is 306 advertised.

Having a dyno, and finding THE combo, makes it easy to just build the same motor over and over, and just Xerox copies of the dyno sheet. Those guys have been building the same 4 engines for 20 years. Of course they make more power than any of us. And it's always a big secret.

It is what it is. Just run it.

Post a pic of the header.

The motor won't 'see' a 300. The lifter lash will only begin to move the valve above about 0.010" and the cam will have rotated a long way in that distance. If it says 260 then it should also say the measurement was taken at 0.050" of lift. This compares apples to apples. Nissan rates theirs as 248 and I think this is NOT at 0.050" lash so the motor will 'see' much less.

Thoughts?

It's hard to say how Datsun rated their cams. Maybe it was at some random metric amount of lift. Or possibly at zero lash. They weren't in competition with other cam grinders, so there was no reason to brag or exaggerate.

Some people call advertised duration, gross duration. But it's the one they put on the box, and the one everyone refers to.