1983 Datsun Maxima W/D28 Diesel

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I really didn't think to look at the motor in the ZX we saw. this is the VIN : JN1HZ16S7GX085379 built 12/85, Can you determine motors/transmisions from Nissan VIN's?

I think the Xterra that  was there was a v6 for sure. 

Are there any non-Nissan uses for this transmission like there are for the L3? 

How difficult would it be to put in the L4 instead?

Trying to widen my options if possible. 

So I really didn't think to look at the motor in the ZX we saw. this is the VIN : JN1HZ16S7GX085379 built 12/85, Can you determine motors/transmisions from Nissan VIN's?

I think the Xterra that  was there was a v6 for sure. 

Are there any non-Nissan uses for this transmission like there are for the L3? 

How difficult would it be to put in the L4 instead?

Trying to widen my options if possible. 

No, I cant determine from the VIN

Xteras have different transmissions.

No, just Nissan to my knowledge

To use an L4, you would need to widen more than your options, lol, their big as hell. Nissan actually has a different floor stamping for the L4 transmission, as in the tunnel on the Maxima is substantially wider, and the mount is totally different. It also uses a solid driveshaft, whereas the L3 and FS5 use the two piece.

I am kinda curious, does the diesel engine have the same bolt pattern/starter as all these other engines?

Yes

Try this site. They're less active posters, but they probably can help you in the parts dept.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/index.php

okaY  So I spent a half hour trying to log onto this site. It keeps telling me I'm not activated but if I try to activate it tells me it's activated and that if I have a problem contact an Admin which I can't do unless I log in.......  

To use an L4, you would need too widen more than your options, lol, their big as hell.

HA! thanks. Sigh. this is not going as fast aas it needs to on the budget it has. I don't have 700$ for a tranny to put in an 900$ car. Gee that doesn't include flywheel, clutch and pedals.

SOOO the L3 according to wikipedia was in a plethora of vehicles. And there are a few of those vehicles in the PnP but they all had sticks. Would I be able to maybe pull the manual from say a mazda or a ford festiva and swap the bell housing out and and and or no.... yea i'm grasping at straws and sand now.

Also at some point in this cars life the caps for the universal on the short shaft were welded in place. ???????? why? The universal is sticking bad and will need replacing, do I weld the new one in?

L3 ??? Do you mean 3N71B automatic?

A 1986/1986 300ZX came with the 3.0 VG-series engine. Not an L-series engine.

> Also at some point in this cars life the caps for the universal on the short shaft were welded in place.

Starting in the early 1970s, Datsun switched to staked u-joints. They are called non-replaceable, but Rockford sells special replacements for them.

• Like 1

HA! thanks. Sigh. this is not going as fast aas it needs to on the budget it has. I don't have 700$ for a tranny to put in an 900$ car. Gee that doesn't include flywheel, clutch and pedals.

SOOO the L3 according to wikipedia was in a plethora of vehicles. And there are a few of those vehicles in the PnP but they all had sticks. Would I be able to maybe pull the manual from say a mazda or a ford festiva and swap the bell housing out and and and or no.... yea i'm grasping at straws and sand now.

Also at some point in this cars life the caps for the universal on the short shaft were welded in place. ???????? why? The universal is sticking bad and will need replacing, do I weld the new one in?

Holy shit $700??? I paid $220 for my complete tranny, driveshaft, mounts, and pedals. And you dont need the driveshaft for the manual, they are the same. only the L4 has a different driveshaft.

Your L3 also has to have a datsun L series bolt pattern, it cant just be from any car. so no those trannies wont work.

And yes, staked in u joints, my advice is either spend the couple hundred bucks and get a one piece made that has replaceable joints, or find another used and good driveshaft. I went option b, cost $65

You CAN try getting the staked in Rockwell joints from Rock Auto, but there is a possibility that they will destroy the driveshatf ends when you take them out, that is what happened to mine and I had to find another driveshaft.

'Your L3 also has to have a datsun L series bolt pattern, it cant just be from any car. so no those trannies wont work."

The bell housing looks removable, can't i just swap out the bell housing from the ford/mazada application and use my maxima's ? or is the bolt pattern that mounts the bell housings also different. 

Also is any one a member of the nissan diesel forum found here http://nissandiesel....s.org/index.php

If so could you let the admin there know I'm having a bear of a time registering with the forum. 

Ok so an Old Guy I know says "come on o'er he'a I might have what you is loookin' fer.". He's just acorss the line in NC. he has 2 motors that say NIssan Z on the valve covers laying on the ground in heaps of junk.

Pictures can be seen here

http://instagram.com/p/kXslAbHCLZ/

http://instagram.com/p/kWI5w0HCMe/

Both still have the tranny attached both are sticks. One the stick was sheared off by something. the other still had the knob and the remains of the shift boot.  on the side of one i found a marking that said ZL71B. directly under that  was #3, and there was an electrical connector right next to the "#" .

no car no drive-shaft's, just 2 motors on the ground in the dirt. what do ya think? Is this a variation of the FS5W71B.

I did some research read here. http://forums.nicoclub.com/transmission-help-t519602.html so I guess I'll have to go back and look a little harder for the numbers, but I'm thinking eithwer one of these are the one I'm needing. so how well do these things stand up to just being left out in the weather? I'm going to ask for both and hope to get one of the 2. will the clutch linkage/cables and pedals from an early 300zx work in my case?  There is an 86 at PnP right now.

What about the differential and axles from the z car. Max's axle boots are busted. I think the Z car had a decent set. 

Yes, they are FS5W71B transmissions. But they are not for LD28 or L28 because they are for Z-series engines (Z20/Z22/Z24).

They do not hold up well the the weather when the shafts are not sealed, they rust inside. Rotate them by hand and if they aren't perfectly smooth pass on them.

Yes, they are FS5W71B transmissions. But they are not for LD28 or L28 because they are for Z-series engines (Z20/Z22/Z24).

They do not hold up well the the weather when the shafts are not sealed, they rust inside. Rotate them by hand and if they aren't perfectly smooth pass on them.

Thanks for the reply. so skip it . 

Wait I'm fusecon will it fit?

If not no point in spinning the shafts.

How hard / expensive are they to rufurb?

I ask because I might be able to get them for weight. and if so we're talking a 100 or so for the both. I can go gwt them in the AM and order parts that afternoon if it's do-able. But if they are not rebuildable, not worth the effort or just don't fit then well they go to dah crusha'.   

Oh will the pedals from the 85-86 z car work?