prefferred su carbs flat or dome?

What diameter is the intake port? And what kind of porting on the head. Did you increase size of the intake valves? I have an A87 with some work done. 1.5 intake with a peanut chamber that has been opened up. And the intake valves are increased to a 1.73in. I have been told that this head may not be worth doing anything with so not really sure yet.

I matched the intake ports to the stock 1.5" gasket...head and K14 intake

sh4_zps27d15ec7.jpg

Stock valves

mag1.jpg

Pulled intake to drill coolant ports in U67 head

PC130011.jpg

Looking through Sus...transitional (38-46) isolators....nice and smooth.

PC170009.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am running an l18 with sss 38mm flat tops and i love them. i have ran round tops in the past and i wouldnt choose one over the other. a bigger deciding  factor between the two sets would be  the throttle shafts. if one set is worn i would go to the other set. also another issue is the floats. see if they have been upgraded to the plastic ones. 

38mm Hitachi come in round top or flat top versions. Both are good. They do not need to be "de-smogged" which removes the fine idle mixture feature but it is commonly done.

46mm Hitachi comes in round top and flat top versions. They say the 46 flat tops don't work well.

38s are marginal for a 2 liter engine . They work excellent, but are a bit small. They were used on the L20B SSS in Europe. For high revving L20B use 46s.

Used the floats that came with the Sus as they were in good shape.

Shipped them off to get new bushings....new throttle plate and some linkage re-plated

46 Sus are larger than the 38s...sooooo the throttle bar has to be modified/shortened

I started with a longer L6 bar....ended up with the piece on right in pic.

Stock L4/38 bar in center

PC210024.jpg

Throttle cable pulls from bottom

SUlinkagesetup.jpg

So this will require a little Work huh. I noticed you are running the stock exhaust manifold. No need for header with all that you have done? Does the heat shield interfere with a header? By the way thanks for all the advise, it is very much appreciated.

Thanks for the input son_of_a_datsun_guy. The picture of your set up is clean. Your work or sent out to Ztheropy?

My dad and I rebuilt them, but we used a Z-therapy kit. They make great quality stuff. 

Only problem I ran into was with my linkage, the previous owner messed with the order of the parts so it took me a few tries to get it working smoothly. 

So this will require a little Work huh. I noticed you are running the stock exhaust manifold. No need for header with all that you have done? Does the heat shield interfere with a header? By the way thanks for all the advise, it is very much appreciated.

Yup.....a bit of work...but well worth it. 
It's very satisfying to look back......and say......"hey!....I built that".... :thumbup: 

Pretty sure the stock exhaust will flow fine for my app.

I designed my own heat shield somewhat based on this.....
SCAN0204.jpg

Out of a aluminum road construction sign...

PC260031.jpg

PC260034.jpg

P1010038.jpg