What is the easiest 5 speed to install

Cuz I'm a new guy. But I owned my last 510 from 1983 to 1991, What 5 speed gives you the smallest head ache to install?

But then again, what dog-leg is the best for performance?

My new 1969 510 is for my twin boys (don't worry, we will get another one).

I'm really rusty with my part numbers as it has been a long time. I'm pretty sure we put a 5-speed from (oh, i may sound stupid here) from a 280z in my old 69. But then again, could it have been from a wagon??

Anyway, looking for something simple for now. but I would love to hear some sugestions. No problem customizing the tranny cross member or shortening the drive shaft. Just wondering if their is a bolt on 5-speed that is easy?

Since I am rusty, tranny numbers would be great, but the car and year they came from would be better.

Kevin

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "easy" one is the short, dogleg 5- speed from the early 200sx. There is a long variant of the dogleg but I think it's pretty rare. This trans only requires some mods to the trans crossmember and allows you to use the stock drive shaft. The 280z and Zx and 620 pickup 5-speeds have standard shift patterns, require more mods or a custom crossmember and are longer requiring a shortened driveshaft. That's a basic rundown but there is lots more info in many of datzenmike 's threads.

• Like 1

Stock 510 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout collar/bearing, fork. I then ordered a 200sx slave as I didnt have one. It all works for me.

Tranny mount is not the same.

Dogleg sits about 1 inch lower that stock.

Do this:

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

And short throw, you will need to modify everything! You will need to make extenders off the ears to raise the fulcrum point, and then extend the portion on the lever below the joint.

I got this in about 7 seconds using the search function top right of every page. Try different word combinations for more variety.

Cuz I'm a new guy. But I owned my last 510 from 1983 to 1991, What 5 speed gives you the smallest head ache to install?

But then again, what dog-leg is the best for performance?

The FS5W63A (dogleg) from the '77-'79 200sx and optional on the late '78-'79 A10 (later HL510) had the same length and same first four gears as your stock 510 4 speed... just with an over drive 5th. Other than the weird shift pattern the car will drive identical as the 4 speed with shift points unchanged. Speedometer is on the same side also. Just bolts onto the L16. Needs a 200sx slave push rod or use your 510 clutch arm and slave with adjustable pushrod. Drive shaft is unaffected but transmission mount will need to be modded as per the pictures above.

Where were you guys in 1983? Thanks for the information. still trying to figure out how to post a pic, but willz helped me out iF you look at the general posts under "New Guy" you will see our soon to be kick ass 510!!

Guess I'll look under the classifides for a tranny!! Can't wait to get this 510 running. Goning to media blassting on the 31st, then primer and finish paint in engine compartment! then let the fun begin. I love 510's!!!!!! What a great car