69 wagon project

If your dead set on the aluminum dash, just weld a cross bar from one side of the car to the other. That's what we do in our race cars to mount aluminum dashes.

Then drill a few holes along the top and rivet it in place.

Just my 2 cents. I like the look though. :)

You could use a 70 to 73 dash cap on top too, no hump.

Thats a damn good idea! Im running with that.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you check out my totalled out 1969 race wagon build you'll see my dash somewhere in there. No dash cap on it, but we used a break and made the dash face and cap all one piece. Riveted it to that sheet metal that is still in your car on top.

• Like 1

By the way, use your break and fold that bottom edge under and back up to make a nice smooth bottom edge, sheet metal gets sharp, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten cut by the bottom of my dash fixing wiring and crap. You'll be much happier than if you just cut it off.

As far as rivets, go to speedway motors and buy 1/8 th in exploding rivets, they fit a regular rivet gun and make a large X mushroom on the back side, they hold great. I've never had one fail.

By the way, use your break and fold that bottom edge under and back up to make a nice smooth bottom edge, sheet metal gets sharp, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten cut by the bottom of my dash fixing wiring and crap. You'll be much happier than if you just cut it off.

As far as rivets, go to speedway motors and buy 1/8 th in exploding rivets, they fit a regular rivet gun and make a large X mushroom on the back side, they hold great. I've never had one fail.

Yes of course thats just a mockup and our shear leaves a nasty burr, like a razor I can even round the corners and roll up a hem around that radius. What do you think about dzeus fasteners for easy removal? Im probably overthinking it. I totally appreciate your input! 

Yes of course thats just a mockup and our shear leaves a nasty burr, like a razor I can even round the corners and roll up a hem around that radius. What do you think about dzeus fasteners for easy removal? Im probably overthinking it. I totally appreciate your input! 

They're nice, but seem like extra work and cost and unnecessary, unless your planning to remove it a lot. Plus they may rattle quite a bit and drive you nuts when your going down the road. Besides, if you go with the exploding rivets, all ya gotta do is drill em' out if you really need to remove the dash face. 

Is $75 fair, shipped? it has switches, voltage regulator, turn signal arm, ignition switch (sorry no key),  light plugs etc... actually still has the bulbs in em :rofl: It'll take some sorting out to figure out where all the wires go in the car.