Z24 interchangeable heads

Kaynek

Looking for the types of heads that can withstand performance that can interchange with the z24. Looking to give it more horsepower, keep it around a reasonable price, and hopefuly get better mileage(low to mid 20s) any ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any L series will bolt on. Same bolt pattern just need the L series's L20B timing cover with a little welding and a distributor and oil pan. Open chamber L20B U67 or W58 heads will have the largest ports and give a 9.47 compression. You will need both manifolds or make some. The L series motors lean about 20 degrees to the pass side compared to the Z24. This allows room on the driver's side for the manifolds. Reconfiguring the Z block over that far will require the transmission to be replaced with an L series.

KA24E head also has the same bolt pattern but will bolt up to the Z24's timing cover. Draw back is the low compression. Swapping KA24E pistons in will bring to 8.4. Milling the head 1mm will raise it to just over 9. The head has an oil drain back hole that conflicts with a coolant passage in the block so this will need to be welded closed. Use the Z24 cam sprocket. It's a cross flow head and sits in the same position as the Z24. A draw back is the KAs are all EFI unless you like to sort out the wiring and run with this. Otherwise a truck KA24E intake with a block off plate mounting a 38/38 weber should supply enough power. You could use your Z24 distributor and just remove the 4 exhaust side plug wires and coil.

Yes it is a 2wd z24 at the moment i want to receive more horsepower yet still receive and maintain a reasonable gas mileage. I want to be able to take her out. Redoing the rear end to 4.11 gears will give me this right? Also, with the engine. I know the fuel lines are an issue with EFI, having to be installed and a new fuel pump. That point id be better off doing a Vg30 swap or SR20DET swap right? Since i already have upgraded may as well not stop there and way less time and money it seems that to build the LZ24 hybrid. Although, the hybrid is cool lol

If you switch rear end gears, imagine this:  It'll make acceleration faster, but on the freeway it will be more similar to only driving in 4th gear, due to the increased engine RPMs.  This will have a detrimental effect on fuel mileage, might help in city driving but it'll get worse in consistent freeway driving.  Z24s aren't free-revving engines, and they don't like being turned as fast as others.  Not in stock form, anyway.

The stock setup is a compromise between mileage and performance.  Without going to EFI, you aren't going to improve both.  A noticeable performance increase- such as a Weber 38DGAS, will have a noticeable loss in fuel mileage unless your carb is so worn out and out of tune that it could actually improve things.   I routinely got nearly 30MPG with my '83 720, and it far outperformed my L20B-equipped 620s even though it is heavier.   

Looking for the types of heads that can withstand performance that can interchange with the z24. Looking to give it more horsepower, keep it around a reasonable price, and hopefuly get better mileage(low to mid 20s) any ideas?

Doug's right. I see you did mention better mileage. Easier to stick with what you have.