Replacing my truck bed

scottfelsen

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking the newer 720 beds are just different enough that they won't fit without doing some mods... I don't know anything about trying to swap to a non Nissan bed but most likely you'll have to do some mods to make it fit... You could always convert yours to a flatbed which would be just about as easy...

A newer Nissan longbed will not fit, you have to have a 1980-82 longbed for it to fit, the later longbeds are about 3 inches shorter, as the later cabs are 3 inches longer.

As for other beds fitting you truck, you just have to go to the wrecking yards with a tape measure and start looking around, the problem with that is the body lines will not match, and it will likely look like it doesn't belong on there.

Best would be an '80-'82 long bed box from another 720. The '83 and up long beds (are very slightly different dimensionally) and have the tail lights in the upper back corners of the box. I dare say that one could fit a later 720 long bed box and graft the wiring to make it work.

A Toyota box might fit if long enough. I doubt the frame mounting bolts would line up nor the wiring match in any way nor the wheel well fit exactly. All 720s have the same gas tank location on the frame, so there's another plus for a 720 box.

Thanks for the information. I will have to start looking around. I think if I sand blasted the current truck bed, I would be missing half of it!!! I will see if I can find a better preserved one off a 720. Otherwise I will have to fix this one. That will be hard!!! lol

You need a longbox from a 1980-82 only, 83 plus will leave you with a 3 or 4 inch gap between the cab and front of box.

There is a thread on Ratsun about this, titled something like, "it was an expensive mistake".

Here is a link to the thread, you should read it.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58156-how-i-learned-bout-short-early-datsun-720-cabs/&sa=U&ei=mM68UqPfI5TfoASo9ICQBA&ved=0CAoQFjAC&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNE_j0dGfCKxfLZpfi3LgTPkdx9ENA

I think the same reason. The '83 and up had an enlarged cab, thus the bed was shortened slightly. The shortened KC bed will leave a gap on your '80.

Maybe get a tape measure and mark the overall length and from the cab back to the center of the wheel well.