KA24DE refuses to idle with proper air/fuel ratio.

dakotahchore

Been at this for almost two months, time to see if anyone can lend some assistance... 

So I fully rebuilt my 93 KA24DE and I'm having some issues with getting her to idle... She idles well and has nice throttle response without the MAF plugged in. MAF goes in, she revs up then dies. Will barely start with MAF plugged in and dies soonafter. MAF was tested good on another KA and I even replaced it with another tested MAF so I know the sensor isn't the problem. I cleaned the shit out of the IACV after taking it off and resealing it. I am getting a code 13, replaced the coolant temp sensor and it doesn't want to go away for some reason. Nothing seems to be helping... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWoe0kIs87U

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

had a similar problem it was my harness when I eliminated wires I didn't need I did something wrong swap in diff harness all good now

Yeah... I kind of feel like an idiot. I had a working harness that I tried modifying; ended up not being able to leave safe mode. Bought another and tried to be a lot more careful but obviously I'm having issues. The CTS plug was reading 5v on the ground so I grounded it directly and cleared the code, but I'm imagining there's something wrong deeper in the harness because it didn't fix the problem .

The fried ECU's that I've come across have something visibly wrong on the board once you crack em open, doesn't mean it still couldn't be bad.

I would lean towards ecu then go to wiring

It sounds like the issue i was having with my ECU and it fixed once we plugged your good ECU into my car.

So I got my KA wired up and all that and it runs really rough/low idle off throttle. I can rev it up nicely. Seems like the timing is off but I checked multiple times, rotor was lined up to plug 1 at TDC. Mechanical timing was done correctly. When I unplug the MAF to force safe mode it idles really smooth although kind of high. If I fully retard distributor, it doesn't want to run at all. Advancing it all the way helps keep it running but barely. Cracking the throttle body is idles a lot better but still seems off time/maybe misfiring. IACV was taken out and cleaned, coolant temp and sender are new, wiring harness is unmodified besides fuel pump wiring and ecu power wire and pulled from a working s13. Tried 2 known working MAFs and ECUs, no change. No error codes. Any ideas?

Try adjusting the idle screw on the iacv

It's all the way unscrewed almost. Didn't seem to help really, in fact I can't even tell if my IACV is working at all because unplugging those three things on the back of the intake doesn't really change anything about how it runs.