new member, have a transmission question

Nate82

Hi everybody, I just picked up a 82 720 4x4 4speed about a month ago. ive owned a couple datsuns before (a 510 and a 240) but this is my first truck. My whole plan was to get a Z24i and drop it in there but I did not realize how bad my mpgs would be with a 4 speed on the freeway. I am looking for a 5 speed that will fit (either on to a z24i or my current engine z22s or both) and after researching this and other forums i am still a little confused as to what exactly will indeed fit

I found a 5 speed from a 85 2wd, will this work? Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that any transmission from a Z motor will fit onto another Z motor , the only difference being that the 4x4 transmissions have different gearing and the speedometer cable hooks into the transfer case. are there any transmissions that are too long or too short to be compatible, if so what years should i avoid

datsunranch7.jpg?t=1387589464

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All Z series transmissions will physically bolt to you transplanted Z24i. EXCEPT any from the D-21 Hardbody.

There were two different lengths so measure yours. It will be 31.5" or 26" long. The good thing is that you could use a 2wd 5 speed in your 4x4 and just plug the speedometer hole.

Part of your poor mileage is that the earlier 4x4s used a 4.375 differential gearing. The later Z24 equipped 720s changed to a 4.11 to gain some economy. I don't expect you will get a big increase by doing this, but it won't hurt it either.

• Like 1