B210 spring circumference

NickJames720

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to hijack the thread...i know there is lots of info on this message board about cutting springs...

I thought cutting the springs was generally undesirable. My '78 sits too high in front and i wouldn't mind lowering it just a little. Also, while the rear end is solid as a rock, the front end is spongy. Cutting the springs would lower it and stiffen it, correct?

Not to hijack the thread...i know there is lots of info on this message board about cutting springs...

I thought cutting the springs was generally undesirable. My '78 sits too high in front and i wouldn't mind lowering it just a little. Also, while the rear end is solid as a rock, the front end is spongy. Cutting the springs would lower it and stiffen it, correct?

Cutting can lower the ride height but will increase the spring rate making the ride stiffer. Some may want one but not the other so this is probably why it is considered undesirable. If it lowers the ride too much, just place a spacer under the spring to bring it back up. Once cut you can't put it back so cut small amounts like 1/4 or 1/2 coil and try it. If you like the stiffness and don't want to increase it then coil overs or trimming the lower spring perch and using adjustable split collars is the way to go.

Spongy could be the strut dampers. (shocks) If you have the original struts they probably have the removable and rebuildable strut inserts. What you can do is take them apart and drain out the thin watery hydraulic fluid and replace with heavier viscosity motorcycle fork oil. Thicker fluid with be harder to push through the shock valves than thinner. This will effectively re-new them. I did this with 20W Belray fork oil for under $20.