Plastidipped the 620

Sphynx88

Painted the Datsun the other day with Plastidip. For those of you unfamiliar it's a rubberized coating that is often sold at hardware stoles in aerosol form. You can order it in prethinned gallons and use a sprayer to get a more uniform coat. When you are tired of it, you can peel it off but holds up fairly well.

GrEO7el.jpg

iCQC2Y1.jpg

YH2nP0q.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Pics:

PO had done a bit of body work and didn't even it out. I was a little concerned it would show through, but the plastidip is fairly thick so it's pretty even.

5aXtenH.jpg?1

Z2XrHfk.jpg?1

It turned out nice!  How much did you use to cover the truck?

Thanks, I used 3 gallons of prethinned (I believe about 50% mixed with mineral spirits or similar) plastidip. It ran around 60$ per gallon. And to Kirden's point yes I did order from DYC.

Wow, 3 gallons huh ?   It does go on thick I reckon.  I contemplated that option on mine but ended up going traditional.

Nice job, plus the truck was looking pretty good before the plastidip.  Looked like a nice base for any kind of  topcoat.

Just thinking if you ever peel it off.... it would be cool to get it in one big piece ( for each section ) !  

...also curious about the driveway... was it mulch before or did you just spread that out to catch the overspray ?

It lays as thick as you want it too really besides certain colors. White is super thin for some reason, its hard not to run it. You need to lay a lot of coats though for durability and the ease of removal. Seems most cars take around 3 gallons. Buds bimmer was 3 gallons for 6 coats, feather coat, feather coat, cover coat, cover coat, heavy coat and a fat final so it finishes smooth.