Laptop/USB/ECU problem, quick question

spudly13

I know i know its not datsun related, just hoping someone here could possiby give a little insight.

My drift car is an e30 with an lt1 out of a 96 firebird formula.

I found some software for checking DTCs and live data etc. I wired up the obd2 port and bought an elm327 usb cable.

So the problem. ecu on, engine off, i can get it to connect and view the trouble codes. But as soon as i start the engine the usb disconnects from the laptop and disappears from "devices and printers", engine off, unplug, plug back in it will reconnect.

Any input appreciated!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No live data will show up while running, ive tried unplugging and plugging back in while running, it wont connect because the laptop isnt recognizing the usb while the engines running?

when the engines off though i can see some certain live data, such as coolant temp, intake air temp, throttle percentage.

while running i have 12 volts at pin 16 off the ignition yes.

And the software im trying to use has a tab for mode 6 testing but i cant get it to do much of anything

Its to dark to try and verify all the pins and getting to late to move it into the shop (dont wanna piss of the neighbors) ill move it in tomorrow and finish checking over my wiring.

Also, i just noticed while i tried it again, while running it doesnt just disconnect, it actually disconnects and reconnects erratically but never stays connected for more then a few seconds at a time

Are the baud rates matching and supporting as I'm guessing your going all serial and not CAN-bus. With engine off, it's only reporting X-data, with engine running it's reporting XXXXX-data. If the baud is too slow or not matching (parity, etc), you can get communication faults. If it's an ignition power fault, typically there will be an undervolt code thrown.

Are the baud rates matching and supporting as I'm guessing your going all serial and not CAN-bus. With engine off, it's only reporting X-data, with engine running it's reporting XXXXX-data. If the baud is too slow or not matching (parity, etc), you can get communication faults. If it's an ignition power fault, typically there will be an undervolt code thrown.

Good thought.