Anyone these yellow lowering springs? & Need advice

nickel&dime

I got these for my 72 goon. I was wondering if anyone could identify them? Thanks in advance

IMAG2996_zps1a9ac0a9.jpg

All stock suspension except kyb shocks. I am getting the moog front steering bushings kit. And also flip the overload leaf spring and put it on top of the stack. Any thing else you recommend?

IMAG1684_1_zps20bb8df4.jpg

IMAG1676_1_zps03cc662c.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you measure the width of the wire and the diameter (outside to outside) across the width of the coil I can easily work out the spring rate for you. Stock front coils on a 510 are about 89 pounds/inch. Racers run up to 300 lb/in and 175 to 225 would be a reasonable firm ride for the street. I can't say what you would like but if these were to work out to above that or below 150... I would say forget them. You can cut your stock springs and get the same for free.

As to the flipping of the rear leaf... what this does is set the one flipped spring against the others. What ever weight that one spring supported is now gone and is forcing the other springs down flatter. Yes the ride height is lower but the over all spring rate has to be less. A reduced spring rate on a lowered car is asking for trouble on bumps. Seems to me that a lowered car should have stiffer springs to reduce the risk of bottoming out. Not to mention, the handling problems with a soft rear, stiffer front being a huge increase in unwanted understeer. I'm not an expert but lowering blocks will lower the ride height, but at least the spring rate is unaffected. I used lowering blocks on my 710 goon but also added a leaf spring per side... lower and stiffer. The front springs were trimmed to raise the rate to about 150.

• Like 1

If you measure the width of the wire and the diameter (outside to outside) across the width of the coil I can easily work out the spring rate for you. Stock front coils on a 510 are about 89 pounds/inch. Racers run up to 300 lb/in and 175 to 225 would be a reasonable firm ride for the street. I can't say what you would like but if these were to work out to above that or below 150... I would say forget them. You can cut your stock springs and get the same for free.

As to the flipping of the rear leaf... what this does is set the one flipped spring against the others. What ever weight that one spring supported is now gone and is forcing the other springs down flatter. Yes the ride height is lower but the over all spring rate has to be less. A reduced spring rate on a lowered car is asking for trouble on bumps. Seems to me that a lowered car should have stiffer springs to reduce the risk of bottoming out. Not to mention, the handling problems with a soft rear, stiffer front being a huge increase in unwanted understeer. I'm not an expert but lowering blocks will lower the ride height, but at least the spring rate is unaffected. I used lowering blocks on my 710 goon but also added a leaf spring per side... lower and stiffer. The front springs were trimmed to raise the rate to about 150.

I'll have the measurements tomorrow... Thanks for the help

It always helps to know where you are starting from and where you'll end up when it comes to spring rate. Stiff is subjective really and your idea might be 'soft' by others stand point. Stock 510 is 89 lb/in so you have the starting point. The Yellow ones might be 150 lb/in and still way too soft for your liking. So you could look for something 'firmer' or even cut this spring to increase it. You can even get very close by calculation. Very important that measurements are as accurate as possible,