Stupid '80 720 Coil Wire Question.....

Buzzbomb

Quick question about the coil wiring on a 1980 720 with the electronic distributor...I realize this is a stupid question, but like a putz I forgot to label the wires when I took them off my coil, however insignificant it may seem :rolleyes: ..My truck usually runs pretty good, and aside from the normal maintenance, I just don't pay all that much attention to details like that since I'm not constantly messing with it.

I have two wires to the coil, the setup is all stock...I have one FAT white wire w/condenser, the other a smaller black wire with the red stripe. I'm assuming the red/black is positive, and the fat white wire goes to negative? That's how I have it hooked up, so I just want to be sure. I'm troubleshooting a no start condition, so I'd like to eliminate the coil wiring out of the equation. I looked in the Haynes manual, and honestly, it just wasn't clear- nothing was labeled.

Thanks for any help :cool:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pull the wires off and

put the key to the ON position and that should be the wire that feeds the + side of the coil. usually its a BLK/WHT wire

or ck out the

http://www.olddatsuns.com/data/dat620-1979.pdf

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I had them reversed. According to the diagrams on that site for a '79 with the EI, and after looking again at the one in my Haynes manual, the white wire goes to the + on the ICU, so it must go to the + on the coil. It looks like the BW wire you described is W in my truck. It's just one of those things you really don't pay attention to. If I have to, I'll just pull the white wire off, ground the voltmeter, and hook the + to the wire to see if it gets voltage with the key on, as you suggested.

That 620 site is a super good resource! Thanks for posting that link, lots of great stuff I can still use on that site :thumbup:

'80 720... White to + and Black/Red stripe to - of the coil terminals. The White also goes to double plug on a condenser the other side, also a Black/Red goes back to a separate single plug on the distributor.

FWIW these two Black/Red wires are not connected. I don't know what Nissan was thinking using two similar color codes so close together.

'80 720... White to + and Black/Red stripe to - of the coil terminals. The White also goes to double plug on a condenser the other side, also a Black/Red goes back to a separate single plug on the distributor.

FWIW these two Black/Red wires are not connected. I don't know what Nissan was thinking using two similar color codes so close together.

I hear you about the strange wiring... I was thinking about the wiring along the lines of red being hot and black being ground when I was trying to remember what went where. The black wire with the red stripe IS what threw me, and I thought I'd ask here just to be sure. I fixed it now, white with + and b/r with -. I even labeled it in my Haynes manual just in case :D

This is a neat board- I never knew it existed until I ran across it in a Google search. I've been a fan of these trucks for quite some time, and it's cool to see a board dedicated to the Datsun moniker. Thanks, I appreciate the help :w00t: