new here 75 datsun 620

lpaladini

i just picked up a 1975 datsun 620 orange and i love it 

planning to restore with a few subtle changes, if i could get the thing running  

the previous owner said it was running when it was put in their garage  now it doesnt

no leaks seems like a strong motor.

turns over but doesnt start

ive replaced spark plug wires, spark plugs, ignition coil, just ordered an electrical distributer

any other ideas? i was thinking timing maybe 

will post pics soon

thanks nice meeting everyone

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, it gets expensive throwing parts at it. Trouble shoot the problem. Could be a corroded fuse not making contact that costs nothing to fix. Additionally Datsun parts (the original ones that is) are ten times better and more reliable that the suspect crap you get over the counter. Changing things then, like the coil, may actually introduce another problem on top of the one you have.

You only need Fuel, spark and a bit of compression to get the motor running.

Fuel

Look in the sight glass on the front of the carburetor. Fuel should show at the mid level.

Spark

Pull a plug wire off and stick an old plug in the end, lay on a grounded surface like the valve cover and crank motor. Do you see any sparks?

Welcome. 

Just in case, here is how to post pictures:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

Pictures are good.

Mike was assuming you have a stock Hitachi carb on the engine.  If someone has put a Weber, or other carb on it, it may not have the sight bowl he was refering to.  This is where posting pictures helps out in a big way.  As they say, pictures say a thousand words. 

**Not knowing what experience you have, here is my suggestion:

In my experience, if it truely "ran when parked", it's typically a fuel related issue.  At least that's where I;d start.  If you don't have said sight bowl, pull the fuel line and see if fuel is pumping out.  Then I'd check electricals, or compression test next.  I'm not familiar with the '75, I know you said you ordered an electronic distributor, but if it has points, I'd clean them with emory cloth or a points file, set them and try it... Dirty or burnt points, is typical of a sitting vehicle.  FYI, your voltage regulator, headlight relays and such also have points.  Most of the time they just need to be cleaned to get them working again.