Engine Rebuild?

BlackCasio

Hi all, haven't posted in a while but I'm having some problems with my '81 720 4x4 that has been sitting for a few months. In August I was taking a 6 hour trip to Eastern Oregon and the ceramic of my back left spark plug blew out on me due to going 65 mph in a 4 speed for so long. I instantly turned it off (yes it kept running fine) and got trailered back to Portland where it has sat. I've started it a few times after I changed the oil, filled the coolant and replaced both spark plugs for that cylinder and it ran fine, until today. I started it and it started back firing more than usual and there was a very slight clanking sound, it's pretty hard to hear over everything else. I've needed a new exhaust system for a while.

Does this sound like something rebuilding the engine could fix, saying it's not a chip in the cylinder wall? I'll try and post a video of it when I get off work tomorrow. I need to figure this out as my diesel 720 is high miles and I'd like to sell sooner rather than later.

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, sorry I thought I put it in my first post.

So to make it as straight forward as possible, the spark plug popped and the truck burned off its oil and more coolant than usual. I can hear a slight clank and it's more evident when warm. The metal part of the plug unscrewed no problem and the ceramic part was still plugged in to the wire and as far as I could tell there were no missing pieces. It looked as if the plug was glued together with hot glue and it just melted apart with no breaks.

When you changed the oil did it look normal? Just dirty? or was if coffee with cream?

The plug part you removed had the electrode and ceramic parts on it? Just broken on the outside where the wire is?

Pictures really help here.