z24 swap to ka24de

johnydrifts

So im having a bit of a trouble here. I like the single cam ka but im getting the dual cam. One big problem. I dont know where to begin. Will I need to do many fabrication to my 720 or will it fit in perfectly. Im getting the complete engine, tranny and ecu,s for my truck. Can you guys please help. Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two DE motors. One fits the S14 car and the other is a truck motor. The car DE has a front sump and oil pick up but the truck one is further back and more likely to fit your 720. I'm guessing you have an S14 car motor....

The car KA has a front sump oil pan and the rear sump pan from a truck won't fit it. You might be able to cut the bottom from a truck pan and weld it to the car pan's top. You would still have to re-locate the pick up tube though.

No. It would be best you do your own research. Get a notepad and write down what's needed. Explore all of these as far as you can till you become an expert on it. Read verything you can about the DE motor.

Find out what a crank girdle is, why an S14 EFI wire harness is better than a D21 harness for what you are doing and will a KA motor bolt to your 720 transmission

• Like 2

Okay thank you very much.

In case I receive bad new what ka will I use to replace the Z24 that I have. The single cam ka carburated.

can I use any ka and just slap it on my transmiasion?

The KA was never offered as a carburetor motor.

Find out what a crank girdle is, why an S14 EFI wire harness is better than a D21 harness for what you are doing and will a KA motor bolt to your 720 transmission

That would be answering the last question. Research, research, research. There's tons of info out there you can do this.

The only engine that fits "without a lot of modification" is exactly what's in there right now- a NAPS-Z engine.  Even an SD Diesel, which was an option on 720s, isn't a straight drop in.  Stuff has to change, though in that case no fabrication would be required. 

Anything else takes modification.  Most need fabrication- at a minimum, of mounting brackets, but a lot would need oil pan modifications.  CA's take even MORE modification than a KA.  The TRUCK single-cam KA is probably the closest match, but it's not a bolt in and go deal.  Unless you pay someone who has already done this to do it for you, you are going to have to do this by trial and error.  I don't think anyone has made a detailed set of instructions for doing this with every step laid out.  They figurerd it out by measure, cut, measure, cut, weld, weld, etc.

• Like 1

Im doing all my research before I do anything. So is there an engine I can use w/out having to do a lot of modification? I found a ca18 for $900 but don't really know. Im thankful for your response.

The CA18 was only available as a turbo wasn't it? like in the S12?

Either way a 1.8liter motor isn't going to move a heavy ass 720. A CA18ET is still only 130hp and would be the same as having a race horse pulling a plough. The CA anything, does not bolt to the 720 transmission. The KLA24E and KA24DE do.