trunk smells like gas

PineClone

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same issue a couple of months ago. I change the some lines (orange) the breather lines b/c they were very dry from the sun and that seems to help a lot. The other thing that can cause the smell is a faulty dry or crack gasket where the bobber goes.

My thought was that if there was liquid dripping somewhere, there would be some evidence of discoloration in the dust on top of the tank. 

I thought i read somewhere a while back that there is a drip pan under the tank. I don't see anything like that.

IF there was liquid dripping, yes you'd see some evidence.  You're not seeing it because there isn't a liquid leak.  There's a vapor leak.

But vapor doesn't drip.  It's the same as if you had a gas can in the trunk, with only a little gas in it, but the lid off.  The tank has more than just supply lines, it also has vent lines.  The tank should be vented to the vapor canister under the hood, though folks tend to remove them and plug the lines- so now, the tank vents wherever it can.  Usually through aged hoses.  But even then, you can still get the gas smell even if the hoses are hooked up right simply because the hoses are so old, they aren't airtight anymore.

• Like 2

Scott, don't open the trunk  bwa hahaha...

have you seen how many lines there are back there?  I replaced  all mine, cause after I filled her up it would leak out of them onto the ground.   really rotted lines..

Good to go now.

My hoses and clamps all look and feel good. What i discovered was evidence that fuel was leaking inside the trunk from the interface between the filler hole and the body of the car. I tightened the screws but i likely need a new cap. I also need to stop over-filling the tank.