catch can correct? PIC INSIDE

Is this catch can set up right? The valve cover vac. line is put into the catch can and the other port that it was connected to (left side down low point up in an L shape) is left open. Does it have to be connected to it? Or can I block it? Also that blue fitting on the catch can, will that be attached to the turbo intake? Also, there's a port on the bottom. Is that the drain?? Help is appreciated!
photo_zps5e0721fd.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't even need a catch can. It's for racing to prevent oil from spilling on the track in the event of a blown motor.

The valve cover vent (I believe) should connect somewhere on the air pipe between the throttle and the MAF. I think having this vented to the outside, like having the oil cap off causes it to not idle properly.

Get rid of the Fram filter if you care about your motor. NAPA Gold or WIX are good. Fram are the cheapest pieces of shit out there.

You don't even need a catch can. It's for racing to prevent oil from spilling on the track in the event of a blown motor.

The valve cover vent (I believe) should connect somewhere on the air pipe between the throttle and the MAF. I think having this vented to the outside, like having the oil cap off causes it to not idle properly.

Get rid of the Fram filter if you care about your motor. NAPA Gold or WIX are good. Fram are the cheapest pieces of shit out there.

My L20b has about 12k miles... If i push it really hard, 4-7k rpm for 30 minutes to an hour such as running a canyon it will start to seep oil from the breether. 

Stopped after a fun run and there was oil all over my engine bay !!  Motor is definitely not blown.   Did this before and after head gasket change. 

Catch can is needed if you drive very hard, or drive on track.

Its just blowby gasses ... exhaust.  If you don't re-route through the AFM/MAF it will exit in your engine bay and can cause exhaust fumes in the cabin.  Better to recirculate it, but blowby should be minimum and not cause an idle problem.

This is only as I understand it from my limited experience and research. If I got something wrong feel free to correct me. 

The breather hose from the valve cover on the L20B is part of the PCV system and is connected to just inside the air filter. This allows filtered air into the motor at low speeds and at high speeds if there is escaping blow by and oil fog it would have been sucked down into the carb. If you took the hose off and stuck one of those funny blue filters on then it's no wonder you had oil all over. Catch cans are totally not necessary on the street unless you have disconnected the working system. 

They are sometimes required to be allowed to race on a track because a blown engine can spray huge amounts of oil out the valve cover. Additionally race cars may not even have a PCV system. It's to keep the oil off the track nothing more.

Ah okay...  The reasoning that my PCV is not stock is I have side drafts, so a bit different with pcv.  Haven't put a fitting for it on the filter back plate. 

I've heard oil vapor is bad for combustion mix?  I'm hooking up a baffled catch can so the motor doesn't dump oil vapor or oil into the intake.   Also for racecar reasons. 

Big bore motors push oil out. I would be reluctant to run a PCV on a 89mm L motor that I drive hard, hence the catch can.

You can build a smart catch can, one that recirculates oil back to the crank case. Hell, you could even mount a filter on the can and use it as the inlet side of a PCV system. And in the event of a blow by situation you would not have oil going into the intake tract.

I recently swapped a 2006 Tacoma 4.0 V6 into a 1987 4Runner and I had to build a custom intake manifold to clear the hood. With the PCV working it would still push oil and I had to install an oil/air separator to keep the oil from being sucked up by the intake. You could use one of those if you still want to run PCV. I would only run it if you had a problem sucking oil though.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85497/overview/

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+air+separator&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-K9XUpqEGKmDigLq-oDgCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=918&dpr=1