'66 1600 Roadster project

I've seen those. I saw a pair sell on ebay for $8.50 about a month ago. I posted it on 311s.org and most of them responded with something like this: "they can say everwing but that doesn't mean they are the same company" . But since you had them on yours I'm starting to think they passed up on something more valuable than they thought.

The ones sold on eBay said "everwing" on the lens, not the "ew" scripted in the middle of the lens like you see on mine.

Thats Funny.

But I agree, you'd never catch me paying that much for fog lights.

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen those. I saw a pair sell on ebay for $8.50 about a month ago. I posted it on 311s.org and most of them responded with something like this: "they can say everwing but that doesn't mean they are the same company" . But since you had them on yours I'm starting to think they passed up on something more valuable than they thought.

The ones sold on eBay said "everwing" on the lens, not the "ew" scripted in the middle of the lens like you see on mine.

Thats Funny.

But I agree, you'd never catch me paying that much for fog lights.

Mine also had "ew" on the lens. My rearview mirror said "ever wing" on it. As I recall most of my other lights said "Koito" somewhere on them. I bought the car in the fall of 1971, with only about 26K miles on it. I swapped a Ford 302 in it in '73, and drove it that way until '79, when I did a body off restoration to original. I wish that I still had it.   

Mine also had "ew" on the lens. My rearview mirror said "ever wing" on it. As I recall most of my other lights said "Koito" somewhere on them. I bought the car in the fall of 1971, with only about 26K miles on it. I swapped a Ford 302 in it in '73, and drove it that way until '79, when I did a body off restoration to original. I wish that I still had it.

Wow, sounds like it was a beast car. You rarely see the roadsters with American motor swaps anymore.

You still might be able to find her on the 311s.org registry , if you kept the vin number. Many of the guys on that website register their vins with the "311s registry" so that they can keep track of how many are on the road/ left.

Wow, sounds like it was a beast car. You rarely see the roadsters with American motor swaps anymore.

You still might be able to find her on the 311s.org registry , if you kept the vin number. Many of the guys on that website register their vins with the "311s registry" so that they can keep track of how many are on the road/ left.

I sold the car to a guy in 1979 that owned a marina in the Bay area. I never kept the Vin #, but I still do have the little license keychain tag. maybe I  could trace the license #.

• Like 1

Good to see another roadster here, saddly you're another victim of bondo. I had to clear almost an inch thick off of my rocker pannels, I used a heatgun and a scraper and the bondo just peeled off and what didn't come off with the scraper I used steel wool for, was a little time consuming but I didn't want bondo dust everywhere.

Also you can hit up miata owners for their 1.6 parts fairly cheap on the engine as most end up replacing it with the 1.8L, so turbo is not too costly.

• Like 1

Good to see another roadster here, saddly you're another victim of bondo. I had to clear almost an inch thick off of my rocker pannels, I used a heatgun and a scraper and the bondo just peeled off and what didn't come off with the scraper I used steel wool for, was a little time consuming but I didn't want bondo dust everywhere.

Also you can hit up miata owners for their 1.6 parts fairly cheap on the engine as most end up replacing it with the 1.8L, so turbo is not too costly.

There is so much bondo on this car, I don't even know how to go about repairing it. Plus I've really just been sanding off the paint because I'm scared that I'm going to not know how to repair what's under this bondo. I don't do any welding so...yeah.

But the bondo is cracking so it had to be removed. What did you find/do after you removed your bondo?

Do you have any pics of your roadster?

So I got tired of sanding. Decided to buy "rustoleum aircraft remover" from autozone. It was a spray & didn't work after I emptied the whole can on the passenger side quarter panel. So I bought this stripper (pictured below). I'm on my third heavy coat and its finally bubbling up. I guess there is more bondo than I thought. It seemed like the stripper was just adding layers to the bondo lol.

I had to do it in the garage because my neighbors are pesky as hell. But I wore all of my safety pro.

12c61c7a58f39db33bb73a42df913d09.jpg

2beacf1bca4e1b9078d6155e2bfb47fd.jpg

87c93e1c759a677dca64a03b4a6d6830.jpg

6a7967383d05e702a25b9a87359793a9.jpg

True that, but it's ok because I'm enjoying learning this. I'm finding that whoever put this bondo on the car didn't care the least to attempt popping out the dents. I've been hammering out the dings with a piece of wood and a hammer, and they just pop back into place. Also, it looks like someone just threw bondo on some of the weaker spots in the sheet metal and ran a skim over the rest to even out the lines. nasty. I must have peeled/sanded off 10 lbs of crap from this quarter panel/door.

I looks like they actually sprayed Bondo on that car.  Yeah, keep at it, and don't let that bare metal sit bare for too long without protection.  Out some baking soda in water when you wash those panels clean.  This basic solution will neutralize the metal after that stripper.  This may or may not work, but it sure helps when the water is acidic.  Or spray a coat of etching primer on when you are done with a section.  You will want to take it off before final paint, but a single coat of primer comes off easy when you need it off, and it keeps the car from rusting.  

• Like 2

I looks like they actually sprayed Bondo on that car. Yeah, keep at it, and don't let that bare metal sit bare for too long without protection. Out some baking soda in water when you wash those panels clean. This basic solution will neutralize the metal after that stripper. This may or may not work, but it sure helps when the water is acidic. Or spray a coat of etching primer on when you are done with a section. You will want to take it off before final paint, but a single coat of primer comes off easy when you need it off, and it keeps the car from rusting.

I'm in a super dry climate, Las Vegas. Would rust catch on that fast?

I'm hoping to have down to complete bare metal in about 2 weeks and then spraying it with primer

I can't relate to Vegas.  Thats just unfair.  Here, any bare metal will rust overnight.  Really.  I live in a rainforest, with a volcano giving us acid rain.  This island is designed to recycle cars.  I fight it constantly.  You should just polish that steel and call it good.  

• Like 1

I can't relate to Vegas. Thats just unfair. Here, any bare metal will rust overnight. Really. I live in a rainforest, with a volcano giving us acid rain. This island is designed to recycle cars. I fight it constantly. You should just polish that steel and call it good.

Don't tempt me.

I've been considering it haha

The conditions you live in sound like a nightmare. But..what I would give to get out of th 6 months of 100+ degree heat and be in Hawaii......fuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

try using a high speed 4inch grinder from harbor freight with a 4 pack of wire wheels it will total 35 and u can strip the whole car down to metal in under 3 days. whatever areas are hard to get at just use the stripper for those areas

im starting on my roadster body this coming week if i can finish my frame il show u pictures of the striping process