Weber carb kit?

CappsDaddy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 32/36 on an L20B. Having idle/running issues. Dizzy seems to have been installed wrong. At least 1-2 teeth off. I'm new to this working on stuff myself so I'm not sure how to fix it. Symptoms include not wanting to idle unless on the throttle and massive popping from the carb while driving along with raw fuelsmell. No fuel leaks aanywhere, so I know its also from the carb.

Its simple dial motor to TDC and see where your rotorpoints to. Set the dizzy to center of adjustment. If off drop the oil pump then reinsert till its at #1 plug wire.

start then do s slight readjustment on dizzy. Usually adj the dizzy to 7-12 depending on motor and resetthe mixture till it sings to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBTjhJMByo&list=PL8EF51386855F2B58&index=6

or watch all the vid from begining

The video is good.  Here is more ammunition:

I pulled this from another thread:

--------

This is how to get your distributor lined up in the correct spot:

(This was just posted in another thread I'm watching)

I put a matchbox on the engine that came in Dragon 2 today.  It is a L-18, and has different timing marks, but the theory is the same.

First, when assembling an engine, TDC #1 is important.  But the engine does not fire at TDC.  It fires before that.

This method works for me.

When installing a distributor, you need to turn the engine to the point the engine fires, not TDC.  I set the engine about 12 degrees before TDC.

TwelveAdv_zps3a76fcad.jpg

When I did that, this is where the drive spindle for the distributor ended up.

Spindle2_zps64961c38.jpg

And when I put the matchbox distributor on, I had the same problem you had.  The rotor pointed between 2 and 4, like yours.  The solution is to drop the oil pump, and reindex the distributor drive spindle. 

This is how to reindex the drive spindle.

Put the distributor on the engine, it does not matter for now where the rotor points we will change that.  Center both adjustments on the distributor clocking plate.  With the distributor on the engine decide on where Number one spark plug wire will be.  I chose this one.

Tower1_zps89958e06.jpg

Make a mark on the distributor body below number one tower.  This is where you want the rotor to point, eventually.

Tower1Mark_zps4159751d.jpg

Take the distributor off the engine, and turn the rotor to point at the mark you made.  Carefully look at the bottom of the distributor drive slot, and see how it is oriented, and that will be the new position of the oil pump drive spindle.

Take the four bolts out of the oil pump, and drop it out of the engine, with the spindle.   Turn the spindle, in the oil pump to the new position.  Oil will come out of the pump.  Slide the drive spindle back up into the front cover, and see if it will line up on the distributor, with the rotor pointing at number one tower.  You may have to make a few tries to get it to line up properly.  My spindle ended up like this, with the engine at 12 degrees before TDC.

Spindle3_zps60441c7f.jpg

After I did all that, the distributor rotor points to the tower in the above picture, with my finger, with the spikes in the distributor lined up exactly, and the engine at 12 before TDC.

If you look straight down the electrical connector, the vertical leg of the "T" is the "B" terminal.  it has the thicker wire.  The top of the "T"  is the "C" terminal.