timing chain help!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Tawney

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks I got it. didn't realize that a few of the oil pan bolts needed to be removed, and the previous owner who "rebuilt" the engine didn't know what he was doing I don't think. the right said of the timing chain was really loose. and was not adjusted right at all when he said the engine was running because the carb needed to be rebuilt. I didn't know I was buying such a project. was hoping it was just the carb I should hav e it running in a few days.

The right side will have some slack in it, that's normal. The chain tensioner keeps is somewhat snug. The timing cover has two small dowel pins to align it so for the first 1/4" it has to come straight out from the block. Loosen the oil pan bolts about half way down each side so the pan is loose at the front and you may get it off without ripping the pan gasket. The head gasket isn't as critical as it only seals in fumes and oil spray from the cam.

Before ripping the timing cover off set motor to TDC accurately. Now look through the top hole in the cam sprocket. You should see this. A small U or V shape notch in the back of the sprocket. It should line up with a corresponding small horizontal etch line in the cam thrust plate just above and behind it.  Properly installed and timed, the U or V should be just below or very slightly to the right of the line. This one is perfect and needs no adjustment or replacement. Check yours first and save yourself some bother.

motorLcamtiming.jpg

Cam thrust plate.

Lcamthrustplate.jpg

you can lower the il pan to help get the front cover off. to prevent ripping the pan gasket if ripped cut another one and rtv and splice it in after you get the front cover off.

as for thr right side loose? it wont be loose if the yourn the motor clockwise. loose will be on the left side.

watch this 20 times. soem slight nomanclature wrrors and suck but I didnt have a script.

watch and listen carefully on hoew to set heap up before removal to line up TDC before removal of front cover.