need a little help with my KA24de swap

91hrdbdy

so i bought this truck and i totally love it. but the other day i was sitting in traffic and the fuse panel got kinda warm. i could smell hot wires. so i got home and started prodding around and well it was a fire waiting to happen bare hot leads 1000.00 bucks worth or electrical tape wrapping a rat nest of wires so i decided to remove the dash and well it just got worse. no grommets. it was really bad.  

well i removed all the wiring and did as little cutting as possible so here is where i'm at i have no wiring in my truck. except for the  taillight harness. how do i go about doing this properly. 

should i wire the truck back to factory and then add the motor wiring (i just got the can/am box form icehouse) or should i run a new harness for the truck from painless. 

I would be willing to pay someone in the SF valley to come over for a afternoon and help me out with this. im not a wire guy. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so after some thought and finding out my 74 620 had a 78 harness in it i went ahead a rewired the whole thing cab forward. I run a shop here in Simi Valley specializing in GM G-bodys and i stock a 21 circut harness that is a direct replacement for the 78-88 malibu / elcamino. so i went head and pull one off the shelf and started my install. i will be using all the Datsun plugs so i can keep all my dash accessories. and factory turn signal. here are some pics. 

here is what i started with all the wiring was just stuffed in the corner

temporary_zps537cccad.jpg

inside was not much better 

temporary_zpsb6239432.jpg

found a lot of stuff like this 

temporary_zps8f6037e2.jpg

starting to place the fuse box 

temporary_zps63205100.jpg

I ran all the circuts in there own loom so it will be easy to track wiring down later on

temporary_zpsbfe39383.jpg

going to be placing a rubber pass through grommet at the firewall when i come in(fri)

temporary_zps7ae3abd8.jpg

around the front all in a nice loom 

temporary_zps898d8f27.jpg

my fuel pump/fan relay box 

temporary_zps3d8bd1ad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

here is a little update. 

ive got the fuse block mounted and ive got functions tail light turn signals and flashers. im waiting on finding a wiper switch to hook that up.

WP_20130820_002_zps1d036b93.jpg

WP_20130820_006_zps1d0e2863.jpg

ive got the computer mounted under the dash. 

WP_20130820_004_zpse2d4d1ce.jpg

now here is where my questions begin 

Ive got the can am box and i need some help hooking up the ecm to the motor. 

i have these wiring harness left im not sure if i have to use all this stuff ( ive never done a efi system) 

WP_20130820_009_zpse2f76d7c.jpg

WP_20130820_007_zps1f25ae97.jpg

WP_20130820_008_zps69dfdf73.jpg

i know one is for my motor but the other ones im not sure why i would need them if i replaced the entire trucks harness. 

• 1 month later...

do i did a complete rewire of the truck it was a nightmare of a wiring job. i got it all installed and i go to start it up last night it started right up but idles like it has a vacuum leak its running super rich and if i rev it up it acts like its bouncing off a rev limiter. 

I did a little research and someone said knock sensor. so i check that plug it is plugged in (this truck ran before i redid the wiring.)  i unplugged the maf while the truck was running and no change. so am i thinking its must me something in the wiring of the maf? 

any one have these symptoms before?