New to the site and the Datsun family...

Just bought my first Datsun, a '74 620 with a clean title. Will be looking for all kinds of info and parts as this is all new to me. Have been on the fence for a while and finally decided to jump in, head first! I pick it up Wednesday so I will post pics as soon as I get to her...

Thanks in advance,

Scottie

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought my first Datsun, a '74 620 with a clean title. Will be looking for all kinds of info and parts as this is all new to me. Have been on the fence for a while and finally decided to jump in, head first! I pick it up Wednesday so I will post pics as soon as I get to her...

Thanks in advance,

Scottie

Welcome  B)

Okay, so from what I've been told, the previous owner was driving (racing) it and went to shift from 4th to 5th and accidentally went to 3rd, way over revving the motor. It still runs, but I was told to take it easy until I am able to rebuild it. Also had a leak of some sort so they poured a stop leak in it and say the radiator may be partially plugged as it runs warmer than usual. They also removed the thermostat to see if that would help the heat issue. Battery needs to be replaced. And needs an alternator. Any suggestions with any of these will be greatly appreciated. Getting excited, I'm leaving tonight to pick her up...

Unless is had a 5 speed installed the '74 was a 4 speed. So the previous owner didn't have a clue probably thought it was a 5 speed and down shifted it. 'A leak of some sort' is a problem as stop leak is the worst thing to do. Taking the thermostat out is the second worst thing to do.

The good news is you can't hurt an L18 doing that.

Most leaks are easy to get at and fix so this was something beyond him and he used stop leak. This could be a bad head gasket or a gasket going bad. Could be the rad is plugged so you're going to have to remove it and boil it out.