520 Light Relay replacement

dirtypaws

Hi! An avid Datsun friend recently picked up a 67 520 pickup. It looks as though every owner had just added a wire every time there was a problem. I've removed all of the "bonus" wire and installed a new fuse box. The truck runs, but no lights work (minus the ignition light). I can only imagine it's the light relay? The only other non-functioning part in the truck is the heater. After stalking this forums for several days, I've realized that there is no shortage of awesome headlight posts. My question is...what do you do with the other lights stemming from the relay? 

From what I've gathered, the light relay is:

RB = headlamp
RW = headlamp 
GL = signal lamp
GY = light switch
RY = light switch
BR = turn switch/stalk
GW = tail/bay light (+)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a diagram for the headlight wiring on a 521.

HeadlightWires.jpg

I would think a 520 would be similar.  The headlights probably have their own fuse, and the taillights are on a separate fuse.

I was also under the impression that the first 520 trucks did not have a headlight relay, but useda floor mounted dimmer switch, that switched headlight power.  Datsun may have changed to the relay when the 520 went from two headlights to four headlights.

Thanks, but the 520's light relay actually has 7 wires instead of 4. I'm not worried about fuses, because I'm actually getting power to the relay.

This configuration is shared with the 411 sedans.  It is actually 2 relays crosswired inside the long metal box.  This allows the Japanese driver to conserve gasoline and headlight life in the following manner.  For city driving, pull the light switch to the first notch, parking / running lights.  Flick the switch to the "High" position and the low beams come on.  Sitting at a long red light, "Dim" to parking lights only.  For a very long red light, shut the engine off, sit with parking lamps and restart on the green light.  Saves gas [very expensive in Japan] and cuts down on headlamp wearout.

Hope your relay is OK, almost never a problem unless the cover is missing and corrosion has set in.  If you are unlucky enough to have a failed relay, the option is to get 2 each 510 headlight relays, mount to a "daughter board" cross wire and mount in or near the current position so that harness wires will fit.

Thanks, I will see the truck again tomorrow.

I picked up a wire brush, a few glass fuses, and 2 spdt relays. The relays looked like my cooking-- well done.

On a side note, I've been looking at diagrams and realized the heater and signal share a point on the old fuse block. I hadn't rerouted them to the new block yet, so I definitely need to check that (friend supposedly check fuses, but he might have just looked...hard to tell with glass fuses). Will update after tomorrow.