Just put a new timing chain on and I'm wondering if that's where the link has to be?

Datsunrider71

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Just block the tensioner from falling out (if you don't know what I mean find out first. It's worth about a half days work if you fuck up) Then when secure remove the cam sprocket and move ahead one tooth and check again.

The V notch should be under the horizontal line on the cam thrust plate or just slightly to the right .

Thrust plate

Lcamthrustplate.jpg

motorLcamtiming.jpg

No. Just block the tensioner from falling out (if you don't know what I mean find out first. It's worth about a half days work if you fuck up) Then when secure remove the cam sprocket and move ahead one tooth and check again.

The V notch should be under the horizontal line on the cam thrust plate or just slightly to the right .

Thrust plate

Lcamthrustplate.jpg

motorLcamtiming.jpg

I deff know what you mean about blocking the chain.

Okay but what about the links what number on the cam it has to be on?

Well, it looks like the sprocket has to go to the right.  The numbers are guides, but #1 is basically used only on L16/L18 engines with UNSHAVED heads and NEW timing chains.  Any head milling or chain stretch, or a new L20B, goes on #2.

Number of links depends on engine, too.  You don't say if it's an L16, L18, or L20B.  And the "bright link" only lines up on initial assembly, so unless the crank sprocket is also verified to be lined up on he dot, the fact that the bright link is lined up with the #1 dot doesn't mean squat.

Well, it looks like the sprocket has to go to the right. The numbers are guides, but #1 is basically used only on L16/L18 engines with UNSHAVED heads and NEW timing chains. Any head milling or chain stretch, or a new L20B, goes on #2.

Number of links depends on engine, too. You don't say if it's an L16, L18, or L20B. And the "bright link" only lines up on initial assembly, so unless the crank sprocket is also verified to be lined up on he dot, the fact that the bright link is lined up with the #1 dot doesn't mean squat.

It's a L16 and don't know if they ever shaved the head

All that matters is thet you MUST be exactly at TDC. As long as the V us under or very slightly to the right of the horizontal line you have the cam timed. Use any hole or tooth to get this.

Mike, which direction does the cam sprocket need to be turned? If the chain stays in the exact position, the sprocket needs to move one link to the... right?

Cam sprocket turner clockwise, yes.

Each tooth is 9 cam degrees, 18 crankshaft degrees.

The horizontal etch mark on the can thrust plate is 4 degrees wide.

Well, it looks like the sprocket has to go to the right.  The numbers are guides, but #1 is basically used only on L16/L18 engines with UNSHAVED heads and NEW timing chains.  Any head milling or chain stretch, or a new L20B, goes on #2.

Number of links depends on engine, too.  You don't say if it's an L16, L18, or L20B.  And the "bright link" only lines up on initial assembly, so unless the crank sprocket is also verified to be lined up on he dot, the fact that the bright link is lined up with the #1 dot doesn't mean squat.

I put my LZ22 on #1.  Is this bad?

IMG_0774.jpg

No, its not bad at all, but it's possible it'd run better on #2.  Depends where you want your power at.  I like my power low, and almost never have the engine over 4500, so an advanced cam is better for me.  A "straight up" cam is better for top end.  It's not hard to change, so you can always go back.  Notch on yours looks good for standard cam settings.

No, its not bad at all, but it's possible it'd run better on #2.  Depends where you want your power at.  I like my power low, and almost never have the engine over 4500, so an advanced cam is better for me.  A "straight up" cam is better for top end.  It's not hard to change, so you can always go back.  Notch on yours looks good for standard cam settings.

That was directed at jvb5577, right?...

IMG_0774.jpg

This looks perfect compared to the FSM pictures and descriptions. As the chain stretches and sprockets wear the V will appear to move to the left under the line. I've seen very old motors that show no sign of stretch or wear so it likely isn't much of a problem. Indeed the Z series FSMs do not have a description for the adjustment and the KA even went to a single row chain so they aren't worried about it.