Engine ran BACKWARDS! WTF!?!?

AceOfDiamonds0

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what I do to ck for bad battery cables or battery corrossion issues.

put a meter on the center of the +battery post then to the cable lug right nex to it.. Put the key to ON. if you read like 1.5 to 2 volts or more then there is a voltage drop right there. When the starter is ON this is amplified to a worst condition  usually not starting.  If good it will read the same  ZERO. YOu can do this to the minus side and near the starter also but I think it will read the same not that its exactly at that point on the cable is bad.

I dont know if this causes running backwards persay or other issuses.

Ok both battery cables checked out good and i still had 12.5V at the starter.

I had the mrs. try to start it while i had a multimeter on the positive side of the coil and it went from 11.3 and jump up to 20V+ and bounced around a bunch. I'm guessing that 20V+ is inaccurate but non the less it went up so I dont think I'm losing voltage to the coil either.

I did notice that when she stopped trying to start it the voltage at the coil read 11.9 instead of the 11.3 before trying to start. Is that normal or is that increase in voltage significant?

When I see a jump in voltage like that, first thing that comes to mind is that there is something corroded that just arced away part of the corrosion and made a better contact.  Had that issue with my starter, it would only spin if I clicked it 5 or 6 times, then it would start cranking.  Turned out to be corrosion on the starter terminal lug.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW....I had inadvertently swapped my + for - on my dist to coil connections once and it did EXACTLy what you are describing......it would try and light while cranking but as soon as I let off the key it would die. Took me a little head scratching to realize what I had done :)

--Ray