1979 620 4x4 advice

thistrapper91

I have been snooping on this site for a while and finally decided to start an account.

I have a 1979 620 pickup with the l20 and 5speed. I want to convert it to 4wd. Not for hard wheeling, but just to be able to get around better on ice in the winter. I have a pair of axels off of a 90 jeep wrangler and was wondering what I need next? At first I was thinking of going the d20 route, but what do I need to make this work behind my tranny? And after that step, does anybody have recommendations for where to find leaf springs to put up front and keep a 'close to stock' height?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably easier to swap the body onto an old Toyota 4x4 or a 720 with IFS.

If going with Jeep axles you still need a transfer case. I used the divorced T-100 trans case from a 720 but it doesn't clear the 620 torsion bar cross member. (you really need a 4x4 frame from a 720). I put a Toyota front axle in my 620 but the steering was a nightmare. I converted to power steering because of the effort to turn the tires.

I would advise finding a 720 4X4 and swap the body.

The axles in that wrangler are just about the weakest ever put in a Jeep. Just an FYI.

Easiest transfer case option is a divorced case. You can get any number of t-cases this way including the Dana 20. You will need to get an intermediated drive shaft made to go between the t-case and transmission and then drive shafts built to mate up the t-case to your axles.

You can use the springs from that wrangler if you have access to them or use stock wagoneer springs. Pretty much want a flatish spring to keep the height down.

Sounds like a trip or 2 to pull a part with a tape measure are in order. :)