alternator problem 78 datsun

ofrisco_89

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 620s giving me alternator issues such a pita.

C'mon noob, you can do better than this.... I can only assume you are asking for help?

It tells us nothing. If you went to a doctor with a problem would you just say that. diagnosis must be made taking all symtoms into account.

You first should have checked the following. If not do so and report what you HAVE done.

Have you checked the belt tension?

Is water or oil leaking onto the alternator?

Did you check to see if the plastic pluginto the alternator is firmly IN?

Hae you cleaned your battery cables?

Have you checked the positive cble on the starter is clean and tight?

Have you checked the ground wire on the head is clean and tight.

Is there a good solid gtound between the motor or the negative to the body sheet metal. In other words a good ground return to battery?

What do you know about this?

Was it ever working properly and then just started not working? Did it slowly go bad or suddenly?

What exactly it it doing?

Has your truck been messed with as far as wiring... that you know of?

• Like 2

I was having issues with mine when I first got it. Didn't take long to figure out that the seals on the mechanical fuel pump were in bad shape and that caused fuel/oil to leak. The alternator on my 74 is pretty much right under the fuel pump. After fixing the fuel pump (just replaced it), it's been great since. Also greatly reduced the puddles I was leaving all over town.

C'mon noob, you can do better than this.... I can only assume you are asking for help?

It tells us nothing. If you went to a doctor with a problem would you just say that. diagnosis must be made taking all symtoms into account.

You first should have checked the following. If not do so and report what you HAVE done.

Have you checked the belt tension?

Is water or oil leaking onto the alternator?

Did you check to see if the plastic pluginto the alternator is firmly IN?

Hae you cleaned your battery cables?

Have you checked the positive cble on the starter is clean and tight?

Have you checked the ground wire on the head is clean and tight.

Is there a good solid gtound between the motor or the negative to the body sheet metal. In other words a good ground return to battery?

What do you know about this?

Was it ever working properly and then just started not working? Did it slowly go bad or suddenly?

What exactly it it doing?

Has your truck been messed with as far as wiring... that you know of?

well actually i purchased a new alternator along with new cables for the battery, starter and deloomed the electrical tape to look for anything. i also went ahead and changed all the dashboard light bulbs and glass fuses. i ended up getting the car to run but now the charge light stays on and the car cuts off randomly im still going at this i wasn't really asking for help just stated how much of a pita it is. :)  the battery/alternator wires have been messed with im currently looking on the forum for a wiring diagram the one thats pinned in electrical for a 78 pickup doesn't work just gotta keep looking i know its here.

well actually i purchased a new alternator along with new cables for the battery, starter and deloomed the electrical tape to look for anything. i also went ahead and changed all the dashboard light bulbs and glass fuses. i ended up getting the car to run but now the charge light stays on and the car cuts off randomly im still going at this i wasn't really asking for help just stated how much of a pita it is. :)  the battery/alternator wires have been messed with im currently looking on the forum for a wiring diagram the one thats pinned in electrical for a 78 pickup doesn't work just gotta keep looking i know its here.

might i add its at 13.7volts 

Random replacement of parts is a waste of money. Did you keep your original alternator? Because it's likely fine and ten times better than any rebuilt or re manufactured piece of shit out there. Half the replacement alts are 'bad in the box' and a lifetime warranty is useless when you're marooned on the side of the road 20 miles from home on your sixth 'free' alternator.

Get a $5 test lamp to follow voltage or test for grounds.

Look on or near the positive battery post, you'll see a short length green wire with plastic plugs at each end,  plugged in line going into the engine room harness. This is the fusible link . Inspect it for damage. It may look ok on the outside but be melted inside.

might i add its at 13.7volts 

This is close to proper charge rate, can go as high as 14.5

fix the charge light

This isn't much help.