DATSUN B210 STEERING BOX

hampemberg

Hi, I´m new here, I´m from chile, and my english may not be good enough. So I have this problem, and a lot of datsun owners, I assume that you too.

The steering box it is too loose and it is hard to drive the car, I try to find out here if it can be repaired, but no one knows how.

The mechanic try to adjust the screw in the center, but it is still loose.

Please let me know if you know how to minimice this problem, or if anyone know a solution or alternative

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a lot about the 210/310, but you likely will need a new steering gear/box/rack.

If there are a lot of 210/310s there, find a good used one, otherwise you will need someone to ship you one.

Look on ebay, what you need is likely there, is this what you need in the link below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-81-DATSUN-310-STEERING-GEAR-RACK-2172-/150693544371?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A310&hash=item23160901b3&vxp=mtr

The slack in the wheel is the total slack in all the steering parts including the wheel bearlings pre-load, steering knuckle ball joinst, idler arm (a big one!) and the pitman arm ball joint. The steering box ratio multiplies this slack by about 16 to one so a 1/8" of steering component 'slack' will add to 2" of steering wheel play... not counting the slack in the box!  

hey, thanks for your answers,

Wayno: I think that´s the part, but the real problem is that this mechanic steeringbox, they all have this problem, and if I buy the used part, I'll be buying the same problem

datzenmike: I know what you say, in fact, I repair all the front drivetrain, all rubbers are new, and the only part left to repair is the steeringbox.

I think there is an internal problem in the steeringbox

thanks anyway