Z24 Engine help

72O

PLEASE READ THIS

Just recently my truck cannot hold an idle. I drove it home last night and I had to constantly rev the engine just to make it home. 

The idle sounds a bit rough and poppy. Backfire in the exhaust.

It seems like it isn't getting enough fuel, checked the fuel pump and it still runs.

I took the fuel regulator out just to see if it would help and still can barely hold an idle.

When I push the gas pedal it will stall unless I hold in the clutch half way.

I have no idea where to begin with this diagnose, I need your guys' help on this one.

Well I never took a good look inside my engine bay until today, and it is a nightmare... There are plugs that are dangled, some hoses and wires that don't lead to anything.

Looks like the carb needs to be rebuilt(gas stains around the gasket), same goes for the head(oil stains around gasket). 

I took a few photos just to get an opinion of what I should do. Should I pull the engine out and redo everything or what?

I am dedicated enough to keep the truck and rebuild the engine but money is a little tight.  :confused:

I need all the feedback I can get, I'd appreciate it. 

Why is there this hole between the valve cover and block? Did I lose the part that goes here?

20130825_135341_zpsb957a12c.jpg

20130825_135354_zpsf5baab60.jpg

20130825_135407_zps50ea8dc2.jpg

20130825_135419_zps99eff461.jpg

20130825_135430_zpsdc516519.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this. You only just looked under the hood today? How long have you driven it?

Where is the air filter and the plug wires?

This is from pulling on the wire improperly...

20130825_135407_zps50ea8dc2.jpg

This missing half moon is part of the valve cover gasket set.

I took the fuel regulator out just to see if it would help and still can barely hold an idle.

Stock pump and carb do not need a pressure regulator.

Looks like the carb needs to be rebuilt(gas stains around the gasket), same goes for the head(oil stains around gasket).

An oil stain does not mean anything needs rebuilding. The valve cover is leaking oil.

I took a few photos just to get an opinion of what I should do. Should I pull the engine out and redo everything or what?

Premature to pull an engine that for no just needs to be put back in order. Get a valve cover gasket set. You can fix the broken plug wire or buy new ones.

Well the fuel pump is aftermarket. I took the filter and plugs off to check the carb and spark plugs. ill get plugs, wireset, and a gasket set but im still wondering about the idle.... I fixed the connection of the blue wire that connects to the carb. i turned the key on and off on and iff and i hear a click in the carb so thats good news.

Thanks Mike, I fixed the blue wire connected to the carb, do you think that coud have been part of my idle issue?

Just ordered new NGK V-power sparks and a NGK wireset. Putting on the valve cover gasket now. 

Well I got the gasket in... As I was bolting the valve cover I noticed this green wire got disconnected from the right side of the carburetor.

I tried taping it back as best as I could because there was about a millimeter of wire left. Is this wire apart of this chart? It's a green/white wire.

This one

20130826_1737181_zps11125d67.jpg

You already have at least one other post on this motor and it's problems. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57301-z24-engine-help/ Why not keep going on it instead of starting another? How about I move this to the other post and keep all the info and suggestions in one place???

You say fuel delivery problem but then say you're getting plenty of fuel to the carb. You can't know if there is enough gas getting to the carb while driving it. What I would do is drive it hard until it sputters. Then as quickly as you can switch off the ignition and get the clutch in. Get the motor stopped as fast and safely as you can and pull over. Naturally you should do this on an empty road. Take the air filter off and look at the round sight glass on the front of the carb. fuel level should be in the middle at the white dot. I suspect that the carb may have run out of gas.

This could be caused by a very dirty fuel filter.

Hey guys, the title says it all.

I know this has nothing to do with my fuel pump, filter or carb. 

- fuel filter isn't clogged or dirty

- fuel pump still works properly

- carb is working properly and is getting enough fuel

What I think the problem may be is that I need new spark plugs and a wireset.

Already bought new plugs and wires, but if that doesn't work what else can I do?

All help is appreciated

Dude....

You already have at least one other post on this motor and it's problems. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57301-z24-engine-help/ Why not keep going on it instead of starting another? How about I move this to the other post and keep all the info and suggestions in one place???

Now you have three about how it runs in addition to the one about your 720.. Don't start a new post about the same thing. Put it all here... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57301-z24-engine-help/

My truck is sputtering while I accelerate

I know this has nothing to do with my fuel pump, filter or carb. 

- fuel filter isn't clogged or dirty

- fuel pump still works properly

- carb is working properly and is getting enough fuel

What I think the problem may be is that I need new spark plugs and a wireset.

Already bought new plugs and wires, but if that doesn't work what else can I do?

All help is appreciated

Check valve lash.... 0.013" all

Set timing 3 degrees BTDC

Filter may look clean but if you haven't replaced it you don't know how old it is. Could be 10 years old. It's cheap anyway and easy enough to do. Also the stock electric fuel pump has a twist off bottom with a filter and magnet inside. Better check those too.

I changed the fuel filter and still nothing. Im going to see if these plugs and wires will help.

The plugs won't be here till Friday. :angry:

I don't have the tools to set the lash and timing but I will get to it whenever possible.

You can still check that there is the slightest wiggle on the rockers. As long as there is a slight wiggle then the valve isn't too tight. A tight valve doesn't always close tightly and it will run hotter. The only time it can shed heat is when it's closed and in contact with the valve seat... over time this will burn them.

Just set the lobe or bulge on the camshaft downward, and the rocker should be slightly loose.

Good news, the spark plugs and wires were causing the issue. 

The truck runs great now, but still needs some adjusting and an over look... But I don't mind i'm just glad im back on the road again.  B)

Also,I just got in touch with a private mechanic friend nearby that will help me do my valve lash, head bolts etc... 

Time for me to start learning about engines  :geek: I will be posting more onto my build thread so keep up. 

So my truck has lost acceleration power. It runs rough while idled and accelerates slowly until I have to slam the gas pedal.

Carb is stock and all of my vacuum lines are in order.

EGR valve might need some cleaning?

already replaced fuel filters, plugs, distributer and rotor, and wires.