z car questions, an endless supply!

dirty-mik3

Looking to but a short shifter kit from the z store, but not sure which one i need... i have an l28 swap and i have no idea what year the car was. Any way to tell by looking at the tranny?

kit one: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC02A/20-1050

kit two: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC02A/20-1054

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Image shows 20-1050 shifter. This shifter is identical except for the shape of the lever brackets ("ears"). New image coming shortly." would that have to so with it being a 5 speed? or should a look at something else?

If it's a 5 speed??? Just look at these...

Used from '77 through '79 on the z and zx. Note the height of the fulcrum pin

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

Used from '80 and on.The higher position of the pin allow a shorter shift throw. This is essentially what that kit does.

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

i guess the correct question is how do i tell the difference between a 72-01/78 and an 02/78 transmission? that guide is helpful but still doesn't answer my question

Four speeds were used up through '79 on the 280z-zx while five speeds were available from August '76 for the '77 model year. The shifters should be the same for 4 or 5 speeds up through '79 similar to the top picture.

new question,

how do planted seat brackets feel? what aftermarket brackets have the best positioning? 

i have heard that some of the racaro 260z seat brackets angle the seat back quite a bit, how do the planted brackets feel?