trouble with an l16 with a weber 32/36

Hey guys I am new here and just bought a 72 510 wagon. Anyways, I am having trouble getting it started. I am getting spark on all four cylinders and the fuel pump is working great. The ballast resistor is working and I have strong vacuum

currently i have a 130 primary and a 140 secondary. The idle jets are 52 and 50 and air correctorjets are 165 primary and 170 secondary. Emulsion tubes are both f50.

So I can get it to run, but it idles like a tractor and eventually dies when I take the choke off. Whenever I try to give it gas it sputters and dies. I have tried adjusting the idle mix and idle speed, but it doesn't improve anything. Just want to verify if this a carb issue or some type of flux capacitor I don't know about

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a strong fuel stream from the pump jet. A clogged primary I haven't thought of. I a gonna get a scotch brite and cleanse the thing. Also going to go buy some new jets. Thanks I get a strong fuel stream from the pump jet. A clogged primary I haven't thought of. I a gonna get a scotch brite and cleanse the thing. Also going to go buy some new jets. Thanks

They don't wear out. No need to change them. The primary and secondary should not be swapped. Put the primary back where it belongs and take a good look at it when doing so. Be sure it's clean. Also take a good look in the bottom of the fuel bowl for more dirt or crap that will just plug it again.

• 3 weeks later...

I alwasy start out with a motor ck of the timming then the distributor. also the fire order. once this is cked then look at the carb. I would ck the ballast and the coil if correct also. If wront coil it could mak it look like a carb.

Carb I would ck the idle jet on the side to make sure its clean.

If you say the accel pump is working then the car should run on that for a little bit if you keep pumping the gas. it would be like pouring a little gas in there a little at a time.

also a bad condensor could make that look bad also or a worn dist shaft bushing. If you can wihggle the dizzy shaft side to side this will prematurely open the points to make it fire.

olddatsuns.com ck out the tech section