newly bought 81 720

I just bought a datsun 720 king cab z22 I believe. My first datsun. I had it towed to my house because there is no tension on the clutch at all. Is there an adjustment for it? the motor runs but it runs rough idling high. And does anybody know where I could buy a new or rebuilt z22 motor in California? Better yet is there anybody in the east bay area that knows who works in these trucks?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the clutch master cylinder for fluid. It's located beside the brake master cylinder. It's probably dry which would indicate a leak. You can fill with ordinary brake fluid and maybe bleed it to get the air out. It may keep working but if it runs out again the slave cylinder will need to be renewed.

Why are you looking for a new motor? What's wrong with the one you have?

• Like 1

The motor is really dirty and the guy I got it off did some stupid things like plugged one of the hoses that feeds.from the header to the air filter. I can't get it to start and its backfiring from the carb. although last week wen I went to look at it it started right up. I do.t know much about this truck.

The motor is really dirty and the guy I got it off did some stupid things like plugged one of the hoses that feeds.from the header to the air filter. I can't get it to start and its backfiring from the carb. although last week wen I went to look at it it started right up. I do.t know much about this truck.

Yet you think you can swap one? Dirty motor isn't a good reason for a swap, and spending some time and money getting your motor running is cheaper and easier.

Yes a Z24 will bolt up. Your name says 4x4 yet your car is just a 720. If it's a 4x4 then the Z24 motor may need your 4x4 oil pan. Are you in California by chance???

I am in California. And yes I have the 4x4 king cab 81. My friend that is a mechanic is coming to bleed the clutch for me tomorrow but I think it may need to be replaced because it didn't change tension after I put fluid in it. What do you think about the backfiring in the carb? I think one of the cylinders is runnning low compression. The battery is dead I'm gonna buy a new one tomorrow and see if it will start. Also I found a.place that will rebuild my motor for 1000 with a 12 month warrenty is that a good idea?

The slave cylinder has to be bled before you will get any tension, basically what you have to do is have someone pump the clutch pedal a few times, then hold it down, then you open the bleeder screw, then you close the screw, and they can let up on the pedal and repeat, you repeat this process till you get fluid coming out when you open the bleeder screw.

If this process does not succeed, then the master is likely bad, if you get fluid to the slave, and it starts leaking fluid everywhere even when you are not opening the screw, then you need a new slave cylinder.

BTW, everytime to bleed the slave, you need to top off the master cylinder reservoir, you do not want it to run dry, as you will have to start over everytime it runs dry.