Where is carb number on a Hitachi 2bbl (on Z20S engine)?

Help! I need to find the carburetor number on my Hitachi but I am not sure where it is. There were some numbers on the choke cover but they didn't look like the right ones. I have a feeling it might be stamped into the metal, probably in some inaccessible place on the rear of the carb.

Can anyone help with this? The Carb is on a 1980 510 with a Z20S motor. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If looking for a rebuild kit or a replacement usually the year and model car, auto or standard, engine size/type, and if California or not.

Most kits are a fuel inlet needle valve, gaskets, accelerator pump, some O rings, clips and instructions for setting float height. Often one size fits all.

A mechanic at a shop (which, unfortunately, is now out of business) told me that the car wouldn't idle because it needed a new 'power valve'. I have seen this part listed on schematics of the carb, but the rebuild kits i have seen do not include the power valve. One on-line carb kit dealer said they could get the power valve, but they needed the number off of the carb so they would get the correct one. My alternative to rebuilding is to get a rebuilt carb for around $200, but I would prefer to do it myself.

So that is my story.

And i checked on the float bowl but couldn't make out any distinct markings on it. :(

A mechanic at a shop (which, unfortunately, is now out of business) told me that the car wouldn't idle because it needed a new 'power valve'. I have seen this part listed on schematics of the carb, but the rebuild kits i have seen do not include the power valve. One on-line carb kit dealer said they could get the power valve, but they needed the number off of the carb so they would get the correct one. My alternative to rebuilding is to get a rebuilt carb for around $200, but I would prefer to do it myself.

So that is my story.

And i checked on the float bowl but couldn't make out any distinct markings on it. :(

That makes no sense at all. The power valve adds extra fuel to full throttle to make it run richer. Idle is on it's own sepapare circuit.

Well, I guess perhaps that is good news for me! I'll try rebuilding the carb and see if that cures the problem. That is, unless you have any other suggestions! ;)

The car was running fine but then started to stall at idle. it became increasingly worse so that it would have to be revved up when at stop lights to stay running. The shop said it was the carb, but if they didn't diagnose the power valve problem correctly then perhaps it's another issue??