Car will only start with the help of some fuel directly in the carby!?

Stevexc

So I recently dropped a a12 and 4 speed into my 120Y (B210)

and it seems it only wants to start if I tip a few mls of fuel directly into the carby.

Once the car starts and I use the chock to warm her up she runs fine, and will re-start with out a drama.

But if left for a few hours or a day ill need to tip some fuel down the carby to fire her back up.

The donor car I took the engine out of started fine so its a problem that has occurred recently. 

I thought maybe the fuel was leaking out of the bowel so was running dry when left for a while so needed a top up to get her going, but looking through the glass part on the carby I can see there is always fuel in there? 

I doesnt matter how much I pump the accelerator she wont start, she might fire a tiny bit but wont start and run without the extra fuel down the carby.

Ive changed fuel pumps so kinda ruled that out, as 2 previously working pumps failing at the same time is unlikely and she runs fine once started.  

So im kinda stumped on this one. I do have a 32/36 down draught weber here I can put on her and another stock carby in the shed, but hoping I can sort this one out instead. 

Any help would be fantastic =)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look down the carby while working the throttle. You should see a strong continuous squirt of raw fuel into the barrel. If not your accelerator pump isn't working... for whatever reason.

Also when cold, the choke plate should snap closed as soon as you pump the gas pedal. Make sure this is happening also.

Look down the carby while working the throttle. You should see a strong continuous squirt of raw fuel into the barrel. If not your accelerator pump isn't working... for whatever reason.

Also when cold, the choke plate should snap closed as soon as you pump the gas pedal. Make sure this is happening also.

Guessing you mean while the car is off?

if so, bingo! Nothing is squirting in, only squirts while the car is already running.

Fixable?... well easily fixable I mean?

or should I just bite the bullet and put the weber on? 

It looks like this...

77287F-p.gif

Basically a small toilet plunger that pushes gas out when the gas pedal is stepped on. This helps transition from idle circuit to primary circuit when air flow and venturi vacuum so low it cannot pull fuel in itself. When not working there is a pronounced bog coming off idle. Stepping into the gas pedal too fast can actually steal the motor. While driving around a corner in town in a higher gear like 2nd or 3rd the motor will stutter untill the air speed can pick up.

You can use the accelerator pump to richen up the mixture for starting but this is not what it's for. For cold starting you choke is for that.