My new '76 hatchback

SunnyD

Here she is..

2vwdbev.jpgvs1ac4.png

suwvvc.png

34qtvur.jpg

Needs to be done:

leaking window seals in the small triangular back seat windows fixed before winter

transmission rebuilt

speedometer fixed or replaced

gas gauge fixed so it reads accurately

tachometer installed

cd player installed

gas lifts for the hatchback replaced

In progress: rebuilding the carburetor

Finished: 

hub caps removed

carburetor removed, disassembled, and cleaned

I have a couple of questions about a couple of the projects I plan on starting. First, does anyone know where I can purchase the seals for the back windows? And also, we purchased a 'universal' transmission rebuild kit from JC Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney.com/omix-universal-transmission-rebuild-kit/p3064688.jcwx?skuId=2292268&filterid=d11713y1976g2u0j1), only to discover that what we purchased was not what we had expected a transmission rebuild kit to look like. Does this look like a transmission rebuild kit that could work on my car?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is excactly what I would want. I would keep her as stock as possible. VERY NICE!!!

Thanks!! I definitely plan on keeping her as stock as I can, I feel pretty lucky to have found one that is this original. However- those beehive hub caps just had to come off. I'm keeping them in the garage in case I ever decide to put them back on but it looks so much better with them off. 

send that kit back.  probably wont do you any good. is yours a 4 or 5 spd?

Nice car, what'd ya pay for it?

Okay, that's what I thought after looking at the kit when it arrived in the mail. It's a 4 speed.

Thanks, I paid $1495, and then another $150 or so at the DMV because the previous owners let the registration expire.

Which back windows? The long ones that follow the hatch or the rear seat pop out windows?

Is this a manual or an automatic transmission?

Hard to find one with the lower quarter panels without rust. How is the spare trunk area (under the tire). I have found the first fix on all B210 Hatchbacks I have bought was the rear hatch window, they leak like a sieve and rust out the spare tire area. I never found a source for the actual seal. I had to improvise by buying the closest match and then modify it to fit.

Great find.

PS: the honeycomb's grow on you after a while.

Holy crap! Nice car. It looks like the bumper ends are in great shape...not sure how they managed that.

Is the dash original and in good shape or has it been capped? Seats all original??

Love to hear what you find out with regard to sealing the rear windows. I need to get new seals for mine (mine is the sedan...so the winged windows) and from what i've found on this forum, they aren't available. Please report back if you find a good solution. 

I hated the honeycombs on my '78 but they look pretty good on yours. 

How many miles are on it?

Holy crap! Nice car. It looks like the bumper ends are in great shape...not sure how they managed that.

Is the dash original and in good shape or has it been capped? Seats all original??

Love to hear what you find out with regard to sealing the rear windows. I need to get new seals for mine (mine is the sedan...so the winged windows) and from what i've found on this forum, they aren't available. Please report back if you find a good solution. 

Check eBay for window seals. I know thailand and the countries around there are re producing seals for the b210 and selling em. I've bought a good amount of rubber stuff off em and its pretty decent quality. Better then the 40 year old rotting ones I had

Which back windows? The long ones that follow the hatch or the rear seat pop out windows?

Is this a manual or an automatic transmission?

Hard to find one with the lower quarter panels without rust. How is the spare trunk area (under the tire). I have found the first fix on all B210 Hatchbacks I have bought was the rear hatch window, they leak like a sieve and rust out the spare tire area. I never found a source for the actual seal. I had to improvise by buying the closest match and then modify it to fit.

Great find.

PS: the honeycomb's grow on you after a while.

Both of the windows are leaking, the back seat pop out ones slightly more so than the longer ones that follow the hatch. We live in Oregon so I would like to fix both of the seals before winter comes. 

It as a manual transmission

The spare trunk area is in surprisingly good shape- it does have some rust but that is to be expected. My guess is that it leaked at one point and someone fixed it (as I can see areas on the seal for the rear hatch window where someone sealed it with a tar-like sealant). 

The car was used by the previous owners (who owned it since '81) as a spare car, and it was parked under a carport for most of it's life. The dash is all original however the vinyl covering it has been torn in multiple places. Same with the seats, they are all original however the front seats have multiple tears and so there are seat covers over them now. The back seats are pretty much in mint condition because the previous owners never used them and just kept the seats folded down all of the time. 

I'll definitely let you know if I figure out a fix for the seals. I'm thinking of taking the dimensions and then trying to find something that's a close enough fit and modifying it to make it work.

It has just over 110k miles. The odometer is only five digits- so it currently reads 10,000 miles- which I know is not accurate- but going off of what the previous owners said and the condition of the car, I am sure it has less than 200k. 

Check eBay for window seals. I know thailand and the countries around there are re producing seals for the b210 and selling em. I've bought a good amount of rubber stuff off em and its pretty decent quality. Better then the 40 year old rotting ones I had

Alright, thanks for the tips, I'll check out eBay. Even if they aren't great quality it's okay. It would be much better than the ones in the car that have lots of cracks running through them.

The pop-out windows are a combo seal, they have what looks like a trim you would see around a door and a oval shaped seal glued to it. In the past I have pulled mine separated the two and went down to the auto parts store (or JC Whitney) and match up the shape of the oval seal part and re-glue it back together and it always looked and works great. I have never been able to locate either thru ebay or any other source seals other than the windshield and doors which are readily available.