Leaky trans

Jan_280Z

Hello lads

After installing the 5 speed in my brother's 620 it appears that the rear of the trans - where the driveshaft goes in - is leaking rather badly. I know there's a seal there that can be replaced but I have a few questions. First, the housing back there, where the seal sits, is all beat to hell, seems like someone hit it with a hammer, is there anyway to replace this part? I have a spare four speed. Two, I know there's hundreds of topics on this, so does anyone know the part number for this seal? I believe NAPA was the place I was told would be good to get it at?

Sorry for the re-re-re-re-repost of this question, I'm just stressed

Thanks

Jan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to your local Nissan dealer for the output seal. I'm guessing they can get it. They were able to get everything I needed for my '82 280zx 5spd. They can pull up a parts diagram on the computer, you point to the part you want, and they get it for you. Otherwise, walk into our local parts store (Napa, O'Reilly's, etc) and tell them you need an output seal for your specific trans.....

As far as the tail housing, it sounds like you are SOL aside from taking it to a machine shop or getting another matching 5spd trans..... That's my best advice with the vague info you gave. You never said what transmission it is, or posted a picture to show what the damage is. Can't help much without details....

• Like 1

Going to RockAuto.com (if you're not to urgent) You can somewhat cross-reference seal part #'s there.

Oreily's autoparts.com will do the same cross-referencing.

Looking at RockAuto.com again---------------------------------

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0521328 = $2.42 shipped to MY door.

TIMKEN Part # 710324 = $5.35 shipped to MY door.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If not in a hurry (I mean... literally..) you can checkout ---> http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?ModelName=240SX&ModelYear=1995&ModelSeries=S14&FileType=269&SelectConditions=%282%3dKA24DE%3b4%3dMT%3b%29&ShowConditions=%284%3dMT%3b%29&seeDesc=False&goBack=True&SectionNo=&ComponentsNo=321

Part reference # 32136 ^^^^ about $9 + shipping ( to give idea about what dealership will ask ).

The output shaft seal is the same for 240z , 280zx , 510 , 610 , 710 , 810 , maxima , 240sx , some 300zx ... etc etc .... very common seal and likely will never order the wrong one regardless.

Inspect your driveline slip-yoke for wear as well while it's out.

Hopefully the part that looks like "someone hit it with a hammer" was debris flying or someone trying to pry the seal out or even install it ... hopefully not the trans being dropped or abused (squashed lip..)

Check your u-joints before pulling the driveline and after when it's out ... should move very freely in all directions ... and NO rough or bumpy spots (usually means the needle bearings have eaten into the surface) ... tighten the bolts good and look at everything.

Throw-up a pic of the "damaged" tail-shaft housing so we can help.

Sometimes it's cheaper to replace the entire transmission , and sometimes it's super cheap to replace just the part (just the luck of the draw).

I certainly would not buy the case new though... used only way to go on that.

Hope that helps , and we all know how frustrating things can get :console:

Me... I'd personally just snag a seal from NAPA if all other things checkout and NAPA is close to home as well not far off on price ( and need it ! )

Drive there ... walk in ... Stand there ... tell them what rig I have ... sip on my soda pop ... they grab the seal off the shelf ... I pay and out the door !

If Nissan is much closer just get it there ... save gas .. usually better quality. (call ahead if only option... sometimes they say they have it then it's gone when you get there........... )

Call NAPA or NISSAN or whoever ahead of time first to make sure the part is there or they can get it.

Or go online to NAPA , Oreily's , etc to see if they have in-stock

Good luck

DTP

• Like 1

Hey guys

Thank you for the responses. I do have a question. The local parts store (BAP) does sell the said seals but I'm a bit confused. Is there a difference between the Extension Housing Seal, output shaft seal and the rear transmission seal? Looking at the part #'s the output shaft seal matches the Nissan number (32136-U0100) I'm just wondering if there's a difference.

I'll post a picture of the damage here in a few hours and hopefully will get a better extent of my situation.

Thanks again

Jan

Is there a difference between the Extension Housing Seal, output shaft seal and the rear transmission seal?

I would say no, just different names by different car makers over the years that are commonly used.

You want Nissan # 32136-U0100 or equivalent. It fits just about every Datsun transmission.

tranny006.jpg

carefully pry out the old one... I use a large screwdriver. Try not to nick the inner seal mating surface on the transmission...

tranny014Large-1.jpg

I noticed this one from NAPA was thinner. Replacement Chevy front timing cover seals are the same way. The new seal goes in further and rides on a fresh section of the crankshaft away from the old worn ring of the old. Not a bad idea actually.

tranny016Large.jpg

Hold the new seal in place with a block of 2x4 and hammer in carefully so it starts evenly. Once flush tap in with a suitably small wooden dowel until fully seated. Be sure to grease or oil the seal lips before slipping the spline in so it does not tear or start up dry.

tranny020Large-1.jpg

• Like 1

As requested here are the pictures of the damage. It looks like someone had some fun with some screwdrivers. Please advise on the severity of the damage. I only leaks when the shaft is in motion, as in while driving. When it sits it maybe leaks a few drops over an 8 hour period.

Thank guys for the help

Pic#1

Pic#2

Pic#3

Good info DTP and Mike.  I was unaware of the use of the same seal in most transmissions.  Though being Nissan, it makes sense.

If I may one-up Mike:  Here is the proper tool for the job.  I try it first, then resort to the screw driver.  The seal puller can be found at most parts stores too.

023-2.jpg

• Like 1

Good info DTP and Mike.  I was unaware of the use of the same seal in most transmissions.  Though being Nissan, it makes sense.

If I may one-up Mike:  Here is the proper tool for the job.  I try it first, then resort to the screw driver.  The seal puller can be found at most parts stores too.

023-2.jpg

:thumbup: .. nice seal puller KlassicMotion ! .

oh yeah ... Quality Nissan stuff only really makes sense.

it's quite neat to find out all these little items and facts for myself as well.

I've learned ... I'll never stop learning here.

Never had one. If any of my transmissions did, they were removed before I got them. As far as I know they just push on, friction fit. My 620 FSM just says to remove so it's must be that simple.