headgasket leaking

d510addict

OK folks, I just finished swapping my head out to a head that was rebuilt by a local machinest and I have a problem. I got it all setup and started and its spewing oil from the head to front cover mating. It's an l20b with a w53 closed chambered head. I torqued them to 45 foot lbs (i only have a 521/510 book and thats the specs for the l16) Is that not enough? Does this mean im pulling the head again?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this computer cant edit my post.

explain better where the oil is comming from.

you have the 20 10mm head size bolt tight where the front cover mate to the upper part of the front cover.

U usually put rtv (black or blue) on top and under and in the corners.

you can pull the front cover if you lower the oil pan and regasket the whole front and clean and use soem RTV as I explained in above sentace

thats what I do. I take my finger and rut a small amount on the top of the front of the head gasket and lower and up in the corners where the front cover goes on. not alot, just enought to seal and it ooz out ans I clean it up.  I think I mention this on my vid.

. In theroy I dont think you would really need to do it as really there is only only comming from the cam shooting out on the valve cover.

How much oil is shooting out. Unless you got the crank case vent shut off or soemthing and its over pressurizing the case.

my 521 the ffont cover was getting oily. I just tighten all the bolts up again and now its nice and clean

There may have been a ding or gouge on the very front... it's only 1/4" wide.

I suggested to someone else that they remove the valve cover and use brake cleaner (it evaporates) and wash down the inside of the head where it meets the timing cover. Won't be easy to get at it but if you get it degreased you could seal the 'gap' with some RTV from the inside. Has to be free of oil or it won't stick for long. Let dry for a day and try it. The front does not seal anything under pressure only seals in oil spray from the cam chain.

Ya im taking it off tomorrow and am going to look for dmg or uneven surfaces, ill clean it well and use rtv just in case. Its weird though as my other head didnt have this issue and it seems as though its being pushed out pretty well.

You need to make sure when you do the head bolts that the threads on the bolts  and in the head are free from "crud". When I did mine, Datzenmike made this suggestion to me, and frankly, I think it is a make or break proposition when it comes to this job. If you don't get accurate torque on the bolts, you are putting yourself at risk for having to do the whole thing over again. In other words, dirty bolts and/or block threads could mean 40 isn't 40, 60 isn't 60, etc. Just a suggestion if you haven't already done it..

I found that i wasnt getting a good seal at hte timing plate cover and ithere was a suspect nick in the head gasekt at the front cover to head area. Installed new gaskets and used some hondabond on the front cover area and some gasket sealer on the timing chain inspection pllate cover and all good to go.

I forgot to mention I had dont this also.

I did a front cover and pinched the front of the head gasket where the front cover and head meet up in the corners. What I didnt know at the time was to lower the oil pan.

If this was a new motor I would assum you put the front cover on before the oilpan was put on so this dont happen.

If a head gasket change always try to lower the oil pan as not to tear the oil pan gasket and to pinch the head gasket. You might need to replace the head gasket and use the timming wedge thing to get this right. Once pinched the HG might not seal ever again.