Ati Damper / Crank pulley

craprat260

Anybody used these? i'm looking at this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ati-918040/overview/

"The dampers come standard with six outer grooves for standard OEM drive systems.

at the ati site it says

"singe v-belt behind damper"

my stock damper got ripped apart at the rubber part and i'm looking for a new one not a 40 yr old one.

My main question is if i can use this with the stock belt to run my water pump and alternator.

i have no power steering or ac

If anybody has pictures if them using that would be awesome

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen this damper installed, but in my experience, these aftermarket, racing style dampers usually don't come with any kind of pulleys at all, they are usually just a crank hub and damper only. You see in the pic three bolts, they are probably the pulley bolts.

When I worked for Rebello, we used an off the shelf March pulley for the crank pulley. Something like this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mch-4311/overview/

The good news is that anything can be made to fit. The bad news is that you have to be a machinist to do it.

I see. Rebello made a pulley /damper with BHJ. The problem with the ati and the three bolts up front is that the shell lines up exactly where the oem water pump and alternator pulleys woud line up. thats what i think ATI meant by "single v belt behind pulley". maybe they redesigned it pushing the damper a little father out with the v belt pulley behind it? putting a pulley in front of the damper would make the pulleys not line up.

sadly there is not a lot of information about these out there. I'm going to try and call ATI and if i do put it on my car i will show if it worked or not

And we also made a custom water pump pulley too. When you use this damper none of the stock pulleys will line up, and there's not enough room behind them to put a pulley back there.

This is really a race setup, so if you're not in the mood to deal with making all new pulleys, just get another stock one, or maybe one from a Z24.

I've used the ATI damper on my racecar's L20B. ATI offers an L series mandrel with a V belt pulley, much smaller diameter pulley than stock diameter. It may not have enough diameter to run an alternator at low RPM.

Also it has an undersize bore that will need to be honed to properly fit the crank snout.