Turn signal switches... need help!

So, I've been having some problems with my "77 b210's turn signal & headlight switch. as far as i can tell, all the bulbs still work, as i've had all of them on at one point or another in the last two weeks, but now the switches do nothing to activate them.

the hazard switch is the only one that has any effect, and all four bulbs work.

this leads me to think that either the switch or.. the wiring.

*shudder* 

i have two options here, as far as i can tell:

option 1: test all the electrical components of the aforementioned parts with a voltmeter, and find the exact malfunctioning part.

the only thing that's a problem with that is i have no idea how to do this. i am being very literal. total wiring noob over here. i'm not even sure what a voltmeter(?) looks like.

option 2:THROW MONEY! ALL NEW PARTS! HIRING UNNECESSARY ELECTRICIANS!

in all seriousness, i'd like to know where a good place to get NOS or quality used parts... local auto places come up with "oh nope we don't have that." about  3/4 of the time. i live in AL, so there's about 10-15 dattos in the entire state, the only thing that ever shows up in junkyards is zcars. so what's a good place to order parts from? is rockauto.com a good source? 

and on a side note, i'm looking at a '78 stanza to save from the crusher.... it also needs a headlight switch, oddly enough.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe an actual b210 guy could tell you specifics, but heres some general troubleshooting. 

1. Not sure if your hazards and normal blinkers are on the same fuse circuit. If not, I would check the fuses (check any to be safe). 

2. If you say that your hazards work fine, but blinkers do not then its something specific to the wiring on the blinkers. I would look at grounds around your turn signal lever. 

3. You mentioned that they worked  fine over the last couple weeks and now they do not. What did you did over the last two weeks that could have affected the lights? Retrace your steps and see if you knocked a wire loose or left something disconnected. 

First thing I'd check would be the fuse block. Make sure nothing's blown, then clean all the connections going to it. I fixed pretty much all the electrical problems on my 510 by doing that. Old connectors get crusty, and sometimes they just need a little scrubbing.

First thing I'd check would be the fuse block. Make sure nothing's blown, then clean all the connections going to it. I fixed pretty much all the electrical problems on my 510 by doing that. Old connectors get crusty, and sometimes they just need a little scrubbing.

Yep, if your fuse box is corroded you can always give it a vinegar bath and give it a good scrub. 

All of the above is good advice including cleaning your fuse box.  Having had not dissimilar problems last year with my goon I did a bit of a tidy up on the fuse box and indicator switch.

This is my fuse box before:

4a4de637.jpg

And after cleaning.

3bcead69.jpg

Indicator switch before.

b82cd3e1.jpg

And after.

4333bf45.jpg

Of course it helps I have a bead blast cabinte in my collection of goodies.

Tristins is a good suggestion, Vinegar and a bristle brush is a good Ratsun cleaning method.

Obviously, reaplacing all the fuses with the correct amperage fuse can help to fix all manner of sins as well.