'88 SX front struts on '72 510?

Sooo much of the strut swap info is on ZX struts, it is hard to find anything on 200SX ones. Friday I got a set of 6X15 steelies with 195-65 tires off an '88 200SX. Didn't know Nissan made such a wheel. I suppose that is why I thought I needed them - rarity or something. Anyway, I bolted one onto a ZX front strut that I plan to mount on my 510. Sure looks like NO clearance between the strut tube and the tire. So rather than spacers and longer studs, wouldn't I be better off to go back and get the SX struts? Don't they bolt onto a 510 just like ZX ones? I'm going to do slightly cut 510 springs on 510 lower perches with split collars. Will the ZX hubs/rotors I have fit the SX struts, or do I need the SX hubs to space the wheel out farther? Or could it be I just need the SX hubs to mount on my ZX struts? Do ZX calipers fit the SX strut?

Len

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

200sx has a higher offset hub which you have found out.  They will fit the 510, but the cup that fits onto the boss on the steering knuckle is larger on the 200sx, so you lose the sheer value of that interference fit unless you mill up a spacer, or get special RCA/bump steer spacers that adapt from the smaller 510 boss to the larger 200sx cup on the bottom of the strut.  I think the 200sx hub will fit the 280zx spindle, but I don't think the grease seal will mesh as nicely, not to mention that the rotor isn't going to be in the correct place nor are the rotors the same diameter (200sx is slightly smaller diameter and thickness IIRC) so you'd have to adapt the caliper mount.  Just get the 200sx struts if you want to use the higher offset wheels.  I know a +33 16x7 wheel will fit the 200sx strut, but it is very close.

Thanks for the great summary. I think I've read before about SX struts not being a direct bolt-on, but couldn't remember any of it. When I was pulling the wheels I was vaguely thinking there was some reason the 15s weren't necessarily going to work. I'll have to give it some thought - either return the steelies and be happy with 14s, or get the complete SX struts, hubs, & rotors and make or buy the bottom spacers.

Len

People do 280zx for a reason.....good brakes and it works...with some mods. and 510 parts or aftermarket.

Nothing is really bolt on. :)

I doubt the 200sx, 280zx spindles are same size etc......Please post a pic of both wheels sets to see what is driving this need for change...lol